[Ohio-talk] nfb leadership

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Tue Nov 12 01:33:20 UTC 2013

Hello Cheryl,
I think it is good to give others the opportunity to work in their Chapters or Divisions. Sometimes you end up with an assignment you are not thrilled with but if you do what you are asked to do and always follow through you will be counted on to do harder things.
No matter what we are asked to do we need to do it. No one is so important that they can just leave the more mundane tasks to others. I mean all of us can take our turn bringing refreshments, storing NFB Literature, helping with cleanup after a meeting, where appropriate sitting with a new person at a meeting, calling members to see how they are.
One person was very upset when I asked her to be Refreshment Chairman. She thought I asked her because I was choosing her because she was black. I chose her because I knew she wanted to get involved, she had someone who wanted to help her and she had transportation to do the job. As I told her at the time I didn't want her to do all of the work I wanted her to get others to help.
Some people just like to do Refreshments.
I also knew that this person liked to be a hostess and I knew she would be good at this particular task.
I also asked her to help by leading the Prayer and Pledge of Allegiance.
I did give her other things to do too.
You know we all do things we do not like to do.
Sometimes we do not take time to get to know people and therefore we do not know what they might be interested in doing.
When Mary Ellen and I joined the Toledo Chapter we were given things to do right away.
They weren't busy work. We were assigned to work on different Committees in the Chapter. Each Committee had an experienced Chairman.
We were paired with this person to work on things assigned to that Committee. This included Public Relations, Legislative Committee, Newsletter, and Fund Raising.
Colleen Roth