[Ohio-talk] Action needed

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Sat Mar 29 15:32:14 UTC 2014

I have just read a message that I received late yesterday from Rose Sloan of
the legislative office at the National Center. For us this means contacting
Marcia Fudge's office. I think the education aide is Clifton Williams of her
staff. The phone number is 202-225-7032. I will be calling Monday. Please
help by calling as well. Cleveland people should take this request
especially seriously because she is your representative. Here is the
message. I think it is self-explanatory, but don't hesitate to call if you
have questions.

Fellow Federationists:

I write to ask you to immediately contact your Representatives who are on
the House Education and Workforce Committee regarding the Workforce
Investment Act (WIA). This bill is currently being pre-conferenced which
means the House and Senate are working to resolve the differences between
the two versions of the bills.

As you know, we are adamantly opposed to Section 511 of Title V and the
transfer of the Rehabilitation Services Administration to the Department of
Labor, which are in the Senate version of WIA. Now is the time to urge House
members of the Education and Workforce committee to voice their objections
to these two provisions.

Here is a call script that you can use when contacting your
Representatives.Please call as soon as possible, but no later than by next
Friday:

Hi! My name is ________. It is my understanding that discussions are being
held to resolve differences between the House and Senate versions of the
Workforce Investment Act. Since Representative Fudge is on the Education and
Workforce committee, I am calling to voice my objection to Section 511 of S.
1356, which endorses segregated subminimum wage training and employment. I
am also concerned with the language that diminishes the quality of
rehabilitation services by transferring the Rehabilitation Services
Administration from the Department of Education to the Department of Labor.
I urge Representative Fudge to ensure that these sections are removed before
the WIA language is finalized. Thank you!

If you are asked for the House companion bill number, it is H.R. 803.

Thanks,

Barbara Pierce

President Emerita