[Ohio-talk] Spring Newsletter

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:38:18 UTC 2014

Attached and pasted below you will find the spring issue of the Buckeye Bulletin. I want to thank Barbara Pierce for her work on this terrific issue, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to it.

Spring  2014
Buckeye Bulletin
A publication of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
Barbara Pierce, Editor
237 Oak Street
Oberlin, OH 44074
bpierce at oberlin.net
http://www.nfbohio.org
(440) 774-8077
Eric Duffy, President
(614) 935-6965 (NFB-O Office)
Peduffy63 at gmail.com
P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, OH 43202

Voice of the Nation’s Blind

	The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a 501 (c) 3 consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our personal experience that with training and opportunity it can be reduced to the level of a physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive the services and training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States, enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about blindness. Join us in educating Ohioans about the abilities and aspirations of Ohio’s blind citizens. We are changing what it means to be blind.
	The NFB of Ohio has ten local chapters, one for at-large members, and special divisions for diabetics, merchants, students, seniors, parents of blind children, guide dog users, and those interested in Braille. This newsletter appears three times a year and is circulated by email, posted on NFB-NEWSLINE®, our digitized newspaper-reading service by phone, and can be read or downloaded from our website, www.nfbohio.org. For information about the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio or to make address changes or be added to the mailing list, call (440) 774-8077 or email bpierce at oberlin.net. For information about NFB-NEWSLINE, our free digitized newspaper-reading service, call (866) 504-7300. Local NEWSLINE numbers are: 330-247-1241 (Akron), 330-409-1900 (Canton), 513-297-1521 (Cincinnati), 216-453-2090 (Cleveland), and 614-448-1673 (Columbus).

The NFB now has a vehicle donation program. For complete information go to  <www.nfb.org/vehicledonations> or call our toll-free vehicle donation number (855) 659-9314.
Table of Contents

From the President’s Desk
by Eric Duffy

Editor’s Musings
by Barbara Pierce

The Second BELL Will Soon Ring
by Debbie Baker and Mary Anne Denning

Toledo Blade Soon to Be Unavailable on NFB-NEWSLINE
by Eric Duffy

Committee Appointments 2014

Advances in Technology Can Leave Some Behind
by Kerstin Sjoberg-Witt and Michael L. Stack II

Pride: A First-Timer’s View of the Washington Seminar
by Arlie A. Ray Jr.

Odin Mobile: A Wireless Provider for People Who Are Blind
by Robert Felker

Every Dot Could Count
My Experience Teaching a Little Bit of Braille
by Deborah Kendrick

Need a Lyft? How about an Uber
by Eric Duffy

Recipes

Did You Know?
by Charlene Bolden and Rosa Jones

Buckeye Briefs

Activities Calendar
From the President’s Desk
by Eric Duffy

	We in the National Federation of the Blind talk a lot about our philosophy of blindness. One definition of philosophy is a belief or system of beliefs accepted as authoritative by a particular group. On a personal level people also have a philosophy about how to live. This can include a  philosophy about how to live as a blind person. Just because one says he or she believes in the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind,  the NFB philosophy does not necessarily govern all aspects of his or her life. There many reasons for this.
	One is that we are all a product of the society in which we live. Sometimes no matter how long we have been active in the Federation, we find ourselves falling victim to one stereotype or another about blindness. It is also possible to apply our understanding of the philosophy to a given situation in such a way that we are contradicting  that actual philosophy.
	For many years I have struggled with a serious sleep disorder. When I was in college, a psychology professor told me that research indicated that many people who had little or no light perception had sleep problems. Although I heard no more about this research, I continued to battle erratic sleep cycles. I went to a sleep medicine clinic and tried various drugs. None of them worked, and some of them had negative side effects.
	Much later in life my family doctor told me that my body was most likely not producing enough melatonin, and therefore my body clock was out of rhythm. For some time I experimented with taking melatonin but achieved no satisfactory results. I was delighted when about four years ago I learned that Vanda Pharmaceuticals was researching this problem in hopes of developing a drug to treat it. The problem is known as non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder (non-24). Those who have the non-24 sleep wake cycle often find it difficult to get to sleep at night. Our sleep is often interrupted by long periods of wakefulness. As a result we often find ourselves falling asleep or very tired during the day.
	I know this problem has  affected my life in negative ways. On the other hand it does not affect many people with no light perception. The drug, Hetlioz, was approved by the FDA earlier this year, and it will be available some time this spring. I have long said that I will absolutely be one of the first people in the country to get it when it comes to market. My doctor says he will prescribe it as soon as we know it is available.
	What I have found surprising is the unwillingness on the part of several very bright blind people to acknowledge that non-24 even exists. These same people become upset when it is linked to blindness. I know that all too often doctors and other professionals want to attribute every problem in life to blindness. We certainly must do all that we can to resist this temptation on the part of society. But we must also be careful to acknowledge things that can be fairly and accurately attributed to blindness.
	If the ability to see light triggers the production of melatonin and if the production of melatonin helps to control our circadian rhythm, it stands to reason that for those of us who have non-24, a drug that helps us produce melatonin might be beneficial. My blindness is the only reason I do not see light. I don’t want to have non-24, but neither do I want to be blind.
	No, don’t think I am depressed, or that I hate my life as a blind person. That is far from the truth. I have learned how to live a productive and full life as a blind person. I could have chosen to feel sorry for myself and live a life of doom and gloom. Had I done so, most of society would have been none the wiser, for that is what much of the world still expects of us today. But the National Federation of the Blind gave me a different prescription, and I was eager to have it. It is our positive philosophy of blindness and a group of supportive like-minded Federationists that have changed how I deal with blindness. I have heard blind people say they don’t want to have to take a drug to deal with non-24. I wonder how that differs from those who say, “I don’t want to have to use Braille, a cane, a dog or a magnifier”?
	I don’t write this to promote Hetlioz. I do not benefit from the sale of the drug in any way. I am simply saying that it is okay to be blind and that, if non-24 is a part of blindness for some of us, that is okay as well.
	Some people have been upset because they believe that the radio commercials sponsored by Vanda portray blindness in a negative light. I disagree. The commercials present a problem that is connected to blindness and tell those who are interested how to get more information. Non-24 is not a condition that we should hide from; it is one for which we should acknowledge and embrace a possible treatment.
----------
Editor’s Musings
by Barbara Pierce

	People have been asking me to describe our trip to Malaysia in March, so I have decided to use this space to do so even though nothing noteworthy concerning blindness occurred. At the close of a winter like this past one, it sounds wonderful to contemplate spending two weeks close to the equator. The first problem arises when you are faced with deciding what to wear for the flight. Leaving home, the temperature was in the thirties with snow on the ground. We would emerge from the airport in Taipei to spend the night, where the temperature was sixty with drizzle. The next morning we flew to Kuala Lumpur, where the temperature and the humidity were both in the nineties. I decided to wear a T-shirt and a light sweater and run really fast into the Cleveland airport. That proved to be a good decision. San Francisco was probably about the temperature of Taipei, but we never set foot outside during our lay-over, so I was comfortable.
	Let me tell you it is a long way from California to Taipei. We kept chasing the sun out across the Pacific Ocean and finally caught up with the sunset late Wednesday evening, March 5. Then we flew and flew and flew, fourteen hours in all, crossing the International Date Line. We had breakfast in the dark, and finally landed in Taipei, Taiwan at about 10:00 p.m. In effect we saw no daylight on Thursday. With the help of melatonin we actually slept that night in a hotel in Taipei and were back at the airport for a flight to Kuala Lumpur at about ten in the morning. That was a five-hour flight, but with no time change. We had already moved our watches ahead thirteen hours.
	Our son Steven was waiting for us at the airport, bless him, because we of course had no ringits—the currency of Malaysia. We drove over modern highways to the city, and all the way there the road was lined with construction sites. Kuala Lumpur is a booming city filled with modern malls  lined with western stores: Starbucks, Gucci, Hushpuppies, Toys-R-Us, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut—you name it. We checked in to a modern hotel for the first four days to catch up from the jet lag. KL has a modern light rail system that seemed pretty easy to use. We did not try the buses, but taxis are inexpensive and ubiquitous.
	Malaysia is a cosmopolitan  country. The Malays speak Malay and are for the most part Muslim. This means that five times a day the faithful are called to prayer by the amplified voice of the muezzin. The various mosques are not synchronized, so the calls linger in the air in what I found to be a very romantic and mysterious way. There is a large Indian population, Tamil in origin, and they speak Tamil. This means that there are Indian temples around. And because Malaya was a British colony, English is almost the lingua franca, and there are lots of Anglican churches. I understand that the Pentecostals are pretty well dug in as well, though we saw no sign of that influence. Finally there is a significant Chinese population, so Chinese is frequently heard on the streets and seen on signs.
	The result of all these cultural influences is that the food is spectacular: Chinese, Indian, Thai, European, Malaysian and combinations of all the above. We had to be careful because much of it was spicy, but we never had a disappointing meal.
	How, you may wonder, did people deal with blindness? Amazingly well. I was grabbed a few times when I was stepping up or down curbs on the street, but mostly folks left me alone. We went to a orangutan preserve during a visit to the city of Kuching on the island of Borneo—two Malaysian states are in East Borneo though the rest of the island is Indonesian. We had a hike up and then back down to reach the feeding station, where we could stand near a table spread with fruit for the animals. A staff member called them in, and they came swinging through the trees and lowered themselves on ropes that allowed them to land on the table and grab melons and bananas and carry them back up into the trees. Several mothers with babies and a juvenile helped themselves to lunch while we were there. The footing was quite uneven in the rain forest, but no one questioned my ability to get where I was going. It was a very live-and-let-live attitude.
	I cannot end this travel log without mentioning the reason for our visit. Our son and his partner are adopting a darling little boy, who is four years old. His name is Elango. He is Tamil by birth, and a year ago he had never spoken anything but Tamil. He now speaks unaccented English, Malay, and a bit of Chinese because his daycare center is run by Chinese people.
Suffice it to say that we fell in love with him and are trying to persuade him that he should come to visit us and discover the joys of playing in the snow. Since he begins asking for his coat when the temperature falls to eighty-eight, we are finding the going slow, but we are hopeful that they will come for Christmas next year or the year after.
Elango loves all forms of transportation—the flight to Kuching was his first experience of flying, so the airplane trip to Grammy and Granddaddy’s house is the most attractive part of the proposed visit. My private opinion is that that long trip will probably cure him of his love affair with planes.
In some ways the flight home was even more tiring: five hours to Taipei, a layover of four hours, then eleven hours to Los Angeles, and five more hours home. That long leg was shorter because of tail winds, but we discovered the hard way how much help the night’s rest had been after fourteen hours in the air going east. Traveling the other way, we found that March 19 went on for twelve hours longer than it did for you. Jumping across the International Date Line does peculiar things to one’s sense of reality.
I admit that having a two-week break from the ice and snow was wonderful. KL had been without rain for several weeks, and water rationing was going on while we were living in Steven’s apartment, though the reserve tanks of water in the complex were large enough that we were not inconvenienced by it. They have a lovely two-bedroom apartment with a balcony suitable for drying clothes. There was no hot water in the kitchen or the sink in the bathrooms. To get a hot shower, you flipped a switch outside the bathroom door which turned on a heater for the shower. They have a washing machine, but no dryer. In the complex of five apartment blocks straggling up a very steep hill there are a play area, a swimming pool, the nursery school, and a little Thai restaurant. But, unless you snag a taxi on the way back from the grocery store, you get to carry what you have bought up an amazing number of irregular, outdoor staircases.
I hope you can tell that we had a wonderful time. It is always stimulating to rub shoulders with other cultures. We love our grandson, and it was wonderful to spend time with Steven and his partner, but we were glad to get home to hot water, a full-size car, and our lovely home.
----------
The Second BELL Will Soon Ring
by Debbie Baker and Mary Anne Denning

The NFB of Ohio held its first BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning) Program in July of 2013. All who volunteered and attended thought it was a terrific experience. Most are returning again for the second BELL. This year’s program promises to be even better.
The Ohio State School for the Blind (OSSB) in Columbus will be our headquarters for this year’s program from July 21 through August 2. We extend our deepest gratitude to school superintendent Cynthia Johnson, her administration, and staff for allowing us to stay on campus and to use the wonderful facility.
In addition to old favorites from last year’s curriculum—baking cake in a cup, Braille Beach Ball, and Braille Twister, to name just a few—we will be swimming in the OSSB pool. We will attend COSI (Center of Science and Industry) museum for one entire day. Students will prepare their own lunches twice during the camp and will join volunteer staff in a walking trip or bus ride to a near-by fast food restaurant to buy their lunches.
Saturday, August 2, will be the last full day of BELL for 2014. That day is designated as a learning seminar for students’ parents as well as for parents of prospective students for future BELL programs in Ohio. In addition, volunteers and the students themselves will attend that day and be engaged in separate BELL activities.
Both the National Federation of the Blind and the NFB of Ohio recognize the vital importance of Braille literacy for those who are totally blind and those who have low vision. We know that the BELL Program will be both educational and a lot of fun for our students and volunteers. After all, most volunteers and four former students will be returning for the second year. Our excitement is building until we hear those first bells ring again at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, July 21. Be ready. You won’t want to arrive after the tardy bell!
We need financial contributions to make this program possible. If you are interested in helping to defray the cost of BELL this summer, send your check, made payable to the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, to NFB-O Treasurer Sherry Ruth, 6922 Murray Ridge Road, Elyria, OH 44035. Write BELL in the memo line. Nothing you could do would help blind children more.
----------
Toledo Blade Soon to Be Unavailable on NFB-NEWSLINE
by Eric Duffy

	For many years blind people interested in reading the Toledo Blade have been able to do so through NFB-NEWSLINE®. NEWSLINE of course is the digital newspaper and magazine reading service that enables blind people to read newspapers by phone and literally to carry them around in their pockets. I have daily access to hundreds of newspapers and magazines each day through the use of my iPhone. I use the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app and choose the paper or magazine I want to read, including the Blade.
	The Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities agency (OOD) has sponsored NFB-NEWSLINE in Ohio for close to four years now. Director Kevin Miller saw the value of NEWSLINE early on in his tenure and has sponsored it ever since. As with all government agencies, funding is limited. When the agency looked at the structure of the NFB-NEWSLINE service with an eye toward saving money, discontinuing the Toledo Blade was an obvious way to save money.
	OOD points out that they are in no way singling out the Blade. They say that they had to find a way to cut cost in order to continue funding NFB-NEWSLINE and that, given the structure of the Ohio contract, they chose not to pay the $5,000 per year required to have the Blade on the service.
	The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio was able to pay for the Blade to be included on the service during the current fiscal year. We do not have the money to do it again in the upcoming fiscal year. This means that after June 30, 2014, the Toledo Blade will no longer be available to the blind of the state through NFB-NEWSLINE.  Individuals, organizations, and foundations can help. Should the management of the Blade wish to help, we would appreciate the assistance.
	We would be pleased to speak to any group or organization concerning NFB-NEWSLINE. All donations are welcome. Checks should be made out to the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio with NEWSLINE in the memo portion of the check. All contributions should be sent to the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio 43202.
----------
Committee Appointments 2014

	Editor’s note: We should have published this list in the previous newsletter. So here it is: better late than never. Please note that the first name listed for each committee is that of the person who has been appointed to chair that committee.

Deaf-Blind Coordinators–Lisa Hall and Delcenia Brown (co chairs)

Awards Committee–JW Smith, Paul Dressell, Cheryl Fields, Shelbi Hindel, Barbara Pierce, Kathy Withman, and Emily Pennington

Constitution Committee–Shelbi Hindel, Annette Anderson, and Colleen Roth

Convention Arrangements–Karen Warner

Education Committee–Debbie Baker, Mary Anne Denning, Kaiti Shelton, and Suzanne Turner

Financing the Movement Committee–Sherry Ruth (treasurer), Annette Anderson (SUN), Barb Fohl (PAC), and Barbara Pierce (Jernigan Fund)

Fundraising Committee–Eric Duffy, Richard Payne, Barb Fohl, Shelbi Hindel, Sherry Ruth, Milena Zavoli, Aleeha Dudley, Susan Day, Emily Pennington, Deanna Lewis, Bruce Peters, Annette Lutz, and  Colleen Roth

Legislative Committee–Barbara Pierce, Debbie Baker, Susan Day, Sheri Albers, Suzanne Turner, and Brian White

Membership Committee–William H. Turner, Stephanie Claytor, Chennelle Hancock, Richard Payne, Colleen Roth, and Beth Debus

Promotion and Publicity Committee–Deborah Kendrick, Susan Day, Wilbert Turner, and Barbara Pierce

Resolutions Committee–Deborah Kendrick, Paul Dressell, Bruce Peters, and Colleen Roth

Scholarship Committee–Deborah Kendrick, Suzanne Turner, Barbara Pierce, Bob Pierce, and Kyle Conley

Vehicle Donation Committee–Richard Payne, Tim Janning, and Wilbert Turner
----------
 Advances in Technology Can Leave Some Behind
by Kerstin Sjoberg-Witt and Michael L. Stack II

Editor’s Note: Kerstin Sjoberg-Witt, the director of advocacy and assistant executive director at Disability Rights Ohio, is an Ohio attorney with over ten years of experience advocating for the civil rights of all individuals. Michael Stack, a graduate law clerk at Disability Rights Ohio, is a recently minted Florida attorney currently pursuing his Ohio license while participating in a fellowship program created by his law school.

Imagine you’re sitting down for the first time in a pre-calculus or calculus class. Imagine the fear you feel as you read concept material that is supposed to be written in English but appears to be ancient Greek combined with Egyptian hieroglyphics. As you tell yourself that advanced mathematics is an academic field fraught with mental hurdles and the bane of most high school and college students, you start to feel a little better. Now imagine that in addition to the difficulty of the subject matter itself, there is another hurdle your sighted peers do not experience: you are blind and need to have math problems read to you by screen-reader software. But instead of reading the problems to you in a coherent manner, parts of the equations are read out of order or with unfamiliar code for math symbols or are simply missing information altogether—making it impossible for you even to figure out what problem to solve, let alone learn the material.
This is the kind of obstacle that Aleeha Dudley, a 20-year-old junior at Miami University, faces every day as she vigorously pursues an undergraduate degree in zoology. Dudley, current vice president of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio’s student division, has hopes of becoming one of the nation’s few blind veterinarians. Because Miami has failed to make necessary modifications to its course materials that would allow equal access to the electronic and tactile materials used in and out of the classroom, Dudley has not had the same opportunity as her sighted peers to learn, and her grades do not reflect her actual capabilities. As her grades continue to suffer because of inaccessible course materials, her dream of being accepted into veterinary school and practicing equine medicine suffers along with them. Dudley’s struggle is only part of a problem that is persistent throughout Ohio and the rest of the country: equal access to technology in the digital age.
For years organizations like the National Federation of the Blind and Disability Rights Ohio have been fighting to promote equal access for all blind people. In the past most barriers that resulted in the denial of equal opportunity in education, employment, community life, transportation, and recreation were barriers of a physical nature. For instance, there has been an incredible amount of litigation over the last few decades related to physical access to buildings, such as construction of sidewalk cutaways and access ramps. Given the rapid advance of technology used in everyday life, inaccessible digital content is a relatively new barrier to equality for blind people. Just as missing signs, unnecessary steps, and false walls would make it difficult to navigate a building, accessibility problems with technology make navigating, searching, and reading even the most basic digital content extremely difficult and in some cases impossible.
For Dudley, who filed a lawsuit against Miami University in January for discrimination based on her disability, the lack of accessible course materials and educational technology has denied her an equal opportunity to learn in an effective and integrated manner alongside her sighted peers, which is required by both the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Not only does Dudley have issues accessing Miami’s educational material (for example, her online homework), but simple daily activities such as doing laundry and ordering food at the cafeteria are also being hindered by Miami’s use of touchscreen devices that are inaccessible to blind students. While lack of access to technology is a problem afflicting students from schools around the country, several universities are making huge strides to provide equal access through comprehensive plans and initiatives, such as Oregon State University, Florida State University, and the University of Montana. In March, for example, the University of Montana and the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights reached a collaborative agreement highlighting the need for policies and procedures to ensure that all students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities, can independently use electronic and information technologies.
Not only do inaccessible technology and communication affect the education system, but they also create frustrating and unnecessary barriers to the provision of basic necessities like housing. Renee Jordan, a resident of Dayton, Ohio, has recently filed a lawsuit against Greater Dayton Premier Management and its predecessor, Dayton Metropolitan Housing Authority, alleging violations of the Fair Housing Amendments Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Jordan, who is blind, cannot read written correspondence related to her participation in the Housing Choice Voucher Program, which is administered by the local housing authority and funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. Because a participant who fails to keep appointments or complete necessary paperwork on time may be terminated from the Voucher Program, Jordan requested that all correspondence be sent on microcassette tape so she could independently access the correspondence and respond appropriately. The housing authority refused, claiming the request was unreasonable and an undue financial and administrative burden. On March 28, 2014, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio granted Jordan’s motion for preliminary injunction and ordered the housing authority to provide her all correspondence on microcassette tapes while litigation proceedings were ongoing. The court recognized that federal law “guarantees not only equal access to information about a program, but equal access to the program itself,” and the only way a blind person has an equal opportunity to participate in and enjoy the benefits of a federal program is when “all communication affecting continued participation in the program is provided in an accessible format.”
Many universities, housing authorities, and other public and private entities argue that limited resources prevent the provision of accessible technology. While limited resources can be a concern, especially given the ongoing budget cuts facing many public and private entities, a shortage of resources is not sufficient justification for a blanket denial of equal access for people with disabilities. In Jordan’s case, the court recognized that the cost of providing reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act is a concern that all federally funded and public programs face. The court held, however, that “[a]ccommodating the needs of individuals with disabilities in order to provide them with equal access . . . is a cost that must be borne” unless it creates an undue burden that severely harms the program.
In an age where cell phones talk to you, cars drive themselves, and thermostats are practically self-aware, technology should benefit the blind, not create new barriers. While advances in technology have the power to make adapting to visual impairment immensely better, certain technology actually creates greater inequality when that technology is inaccessible to people with disabilities. As technology becomes more and more integrated into our society—relied upon in the everyday world for even the most rudimentary tasks—we must fight even harder to provide equal access to people with disabilities. Individuals who are blind or visually impaired have the same right as a sighted person to full access to technology, and we should not ignore the effect the digital world has on how we access information today.
----------
Pride: A First-Timer’s View of the Washington Seminar
by Arlie A. Ray Jr.

	Editor’s note: Arlie Ray is vice president of the Springfield chapter of the NFB of Ohio. He joined five other Federationists from Ohio and nearly five hundred from across the country at this year’s Washington Seminar, January 27 to 30. We divide into teams to meet with the entire Ohio Congressional delegation at prescheduled appointments. We have an agenda of legislative issues to cover in each office. We are looking for cosponsors of bills. But more generally we hope to establish ourselves as recognizable representatives of blind Ohioans. Each year we try to take at least one newcomer, and this year it was Arlie. Here is what he said about his experience in Washington:

My experience as a first-timer at the Washington Seminar was awesome. I had never been to  Washington DC before; therefore immediately this was a treat, and I thought I would be running around all week taking pictures of statues, buildings, and monuments--boy oh boy, was I wrong about that! I checked into the hotel, went up to the room, and was informed of the sleeping arrangements, which were four men to a room and two men to a bed. We had a meeting with Barbara Pierce and Deborah Kendrick that very evening and reviewed our meetings with members of Congress for the next day’s appointments. Then we ate pizza, everyone went to our rooms, and we four guys went to bed. I think there might have been some new-guy hazing as well. For example, the guys were nice enough to let me sleep right next to the hotel room heater so that all that wonderful heat would blow right on my head all night. Thanks, guys.
We woke up the next morning, showered, and had breakfast. The six of us were divided into three teams of two people since we had to meet with sixteen members of the House of Representatives and two Senators. Deborah Kendrick and I met in the hotel lobby to discuss strategy, and we were approached by someone from a drug company shooting a commercial for a pill to help non-24-hour sleep disorder. She asked if we would be willing to do a tryout for the commercial. We both agreed, but to my knowledge neither of us got the part. I guess they just don't recognize talent when they see it.
We grabbed a cab and headed over to meet with our Congressmen. We got to the Rayburn House Office Building, and we agreed that, since I had some sight, I would navigate. Needless to say, we got lost on more than one occasion. We got lost in the Longworth Building as well. However, we did manage to find our way to the offices of both Brad Wenstrup and Steve Chabot. Not only did we get to meet with the Congressmen, but we got to meet with legislative assistance as well.
After an entire day of meeting with Congressmen, I realized how hard these people actually work. I hear people all the time calling them lazy and saying that they don't do anything. This, however, is not the case. I have a newfound respect and admiration for these people, and I wish them well. After we were finished meeting with Congressmen, we went back to the hotel, made plans to meet for dinner, and then went our separate ways.
I stood in the hallway for a moment and decided to call my mother. When she answered, she asked me how I was doing. I told her I was in Washington DC. She let out a shriek of surprise. She asked what I was doing in Washington, and I began to tell her all about how I had met with Congressmen and educated them on behalf of the NFB and every other disabled American. We talked for a few minutes, and she told me that she was proud of me. I told her how good I felt helping people with disabilities, and we hung up. That's when the significance of what I was actually doing in Washington DC hit me.
I stood in the hallway of the Holiday Inn Capital for a good ten minutes thinking about what I had done that day, imagining what it would be like if blind students had accessible books, if disabled air travelers could get through airports and enjoy all of the amenities afforded everyone else, and most of all what it would be like if people with disabilities were paid at least the minimum wage and treated as fairly as so-called normal people. I began to realize that, if this change actually happened, I would have been a part of that. I also realized that, no matter what the outcome was, I had had a voice in making real change happen that would affect the lives of millions and change the course of the entire country forever--not some rich and powerful corporation or some well-paid lobbyist, but little old me adding my particular note to the voice of what has to me become the greatest organization in the world, the National Federation of the Blind. Standing there in that hallway, for the first time in my life I was both proud and glad that I was a blind person, and I hope to go back next year. Thank you, NFB, for allowing me to be a part of something this big.
----------
Odin Mobile: A Wireless Provider for People Who Are Blind
by Robert Felker

	Editor’s note: Colleen Roth wrote an article about a new cell phone about which she is quite excited. I don’t usually reprint articles from the Braille Monitor in this newsletter, figuring that everyone has already read the material in the Monitor. But, when I read this article in the May 2014 Monitor, it seemed more complete and clear than Colleen’s first-person endorsement of this product, so here is the article:

Odin Mobile has broken new ground: it is the first wireless provider in the world whose primary mission is to provide cell phone service to individuals who are blind or visually impaired. Not surprisingly, Odin Mobile made it a priority to form a partnership with the NFB, which is exciting on a number of levels, not the least of which is that NFB members receive a five percent discount on Odin Mobile plans, and a percentage of the revenue goes back to the NFB.
Odin Mobile’s first priority is accessible phones. The company offers some unique basic cell phones, as well as smart phones. Its primary basic mobile phone is the ODIN VI. This basic mobile phone has become very popular with the blind community in Europe, particularly in the United Kingdom, where it is sold by the Royal National Institute of Blind People.
The ODIN VI is designed for people who want a phone with large buttons, who place a priority on ease of use, and who want to perform basic functions, such as making a call, entering and accessing contacts, sending and receiving text messages, having access to the call log, and being able to set and enable and set alarms. The phone allows the blind user to perform every function that a sighted user can perform. For those of you who feel that a smart phone is more than you need or is too expensive, this phone is designed for you.
The phone speaks everything that is on the screen, speaks the keys that you press, and even prompts you to perform certain functions. You can choose between several voices, which are clear and whose volume can be adjusted. The phone is a “slider,” which means that you slide open the top portion of the phone in order to reveal the keypad. Whenever you slide open the phone, it automatically speaks the time. The phone speaks English, Spanish, and several European languages. The ODIN VI also has speaking caller ID and speaks the battery level and signal strength at the press of a button.
	The user guide for the ODIN VI is descriptive and accessible. It does not rely on images, as so many user guides do. It is made available on Odin Mobile’s website and is provided through email to customers who purchase the phone. The ODIN VI costs $150 and must be used with Odin Mobile service, which operates on T-Mobile’s network. The ODIN VI can be purchased directly from Odin Mobile, as well as from Perkins Products.
	Odin Mobile’s primary smart phone is the Nexus 5 from Google, one of the best Android phones on the market. As we all know, the large majority of blind people currently use the iPhone. Odin Mobile, however, is focusing on Android because it believes that, as Android accessibility continues to improve, more and more people who are blind will start using Android devices. Odin Mobile intends to bring the best in Android to the blind community.
	The advantage of a Nexus over a Samsung or other Android smart phone is that, as Google’s smart phone, it is typically the first device to receive Google’s updates to the Android operating system. In addition, it has the latest in Android accessibility.
Customers who purchase a Nexus 5 from Odin Mobile will be entitled to a unique instructional package. The package will include two one-on-one over-the-phone tutorials on how to use the accessibility features of an Android device, and customers will be able to call our experts to seek help and ask questions about Android accessibility for a period of one month after they purchase their phone. The tutorials and support are provided by an expert in Android accessibility who is also blind.
Individuals may purchase additional months of this special support for $9.95 per month. This additional support can be purchased by Odin Mobile customers, as well as non-customers. Thus blind people who receive service from other wireless providers, such as AT&T or Verizon, can sign up for this support service as well.
Going forward, Odin Mobile intends to make its website, <www.odinmobile.com>, a resource for blind users of Android. It will include a number of tools, such as podcasts, that will help its customers get the most out of their Android devices. These resources will be available to Odin Mobile customers only.
	To further its objective of bringing the best in mobile communications to blind or visually impaired people, Odin Mobile is involved in a few advocacy projects--perhaps the most important of which is obtaining approval from the Federal Communications Commission to participate in the Lifeline program. Through this program consumers who have lower incomes can obtain subsidized cell phone service. Many wireless providers that participate in this program offer a free basic phone and 250 minutes per month. The phones, however, are not accessible! As a result, blind or visually impaired people cannot take full advantage of the program. In fact, in a survey performed by Odin Mobile, with the assistance of members of the Blinded Veterans Association, only one out of nineteen people who identified themselves as eligible actually participated in Lifeline. Odin Mobile is determined to provide the blind community the opportunity to benefit fully from this federal program.
Odin Mobile’s service is prepaid so that users are not locked into two-year contracts. The company has unlimited plans, as well as plans as low as $10 per month for those who make only occasional calls. And remember that NFB members receive a 5 percent discount. Also Odin Mobile has a refer-a-friend program in which customers receive a free month for each person they refer to Odin Mobile, and the person they refer will receive a $10 discount on their phone. This is a nice opportunity for NFB members who may know other members who would benefit from this service.
You can learn more about Odin Mobile at <www.odinmobile.com>, by calling (855) 217-9459, or by checking us out on Facebook at <www.facebook.com/odinmobilephones>.
----------
If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio in your will, you can do so by employing the following language:

   “I give, devise, and bequeath unto the Ohio Council of the Blind dba National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio 43202, an Ohio nonprofit corporation, the sum of $                                             (or “                  percent of my net estate” or “The following stocks and bonds:                                        )  to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons.”
----------
Every Dot Could Count
My Experience Teaching a Little Bit of Braille
by Deborah Kendrick

	Editor’s note: Deborah Kendrick is a member of the NFB of Ohio board of directors and president of the Cincinnati chapter. She has taught Braille and computer skills for years. This is what she says:

When I saw an announcement that the Marjorie Book Continuing Education effort was seeking proposals for short-term classes to teach new topics to people “with and without disabilities,” I immediately thought of teaching Braille. The program has a twenty-year history of organizing inclusive activities for people of all abilities. First called the Renegade Garage Players, the nonprofit organization’s signature activity is to present theater productions, usually classics like A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Our Town, or The Importance of Being Earnest, performed in venues ranging from churches and schools to the Cincinnati Museum Center.
Actors typically include people with a wide range of disabilities and many without any discernible disabilities as well. Actors who use Braille scripts to read, wheelchairs to move about, or who just plain need a little help remembering what to say and where to say it are completely included in a performance that might just as well also have cast members who are skilled laborers, young professionals, or honor students.
The continuing education facet is similar. Courses have included yoga, dancing, photography, and foreign languages. Many people who attend have maybe never been in formal educational settings before, while others are fulltime students or those who have long since earned advanced degrees.
To me basic Braille was an obvious perfect fit. I wrote a proposal immediately and sent it to director Joseph Link. The proposal stated that I would teach basic Grade One Braille: the Braille cell, the formation of the first twenty-six letters, a few punctuation marks, and numbers. The course would include sight recognition and introduce the use of the Braille slate and stylus. While students would certainly not leave the class ready to read a Braille novel or magazine, they would know enough to interpret those dots on a bathroom door or elevator panel to unenlightened associates and even write a note or birthday card in Braille to a blind friend.
I wrote that proposal in October 2012. Time went by, and I heard nothing. Finally Joe Link called me. He thanked me for my proposal but expressed doubt that anyone would be interested. Wasn’t Braille rather obsolete anyway?
I assured him that it was far from obsolete and that there is something of an image crisis for Braille literacy in this country. Children who grow up without learning it are functionally illiterate, and a more positive public image could boost the use of Braille in the same way that public awareness has made American Sign Language trendy and ubiquitous. An educator himself, Joe Link agreed that it warranted consideration for the next year. Sure enough, he contacted me in fall 2013 to begin planning a class for Spring 2014. Thus we were on our way.
 	Joe told me before our first class that attendance would probably vary widely, and so it has. Our regulars have included a few people who clearly have some sort of developmental disabilities – one proud of a ten-year record working in trash collection for a restaurant, another who works as a child care aide, another who maybe doesn’t have paid employment and who makes rather random comments from time to time. Joe Link, who is an adjunct professor and disability consultant by day, and his wife, Maria Link, who is principal of a small school for kids with behavioral disabilities, are always in attendance. As director and assistant director of Marjorie Book Continuing Education, they try to attend most of the classes themselves.  We have also had a mix of typical college students in attendance who come out of curiosity or to earn community service hours by helping their fellow classmates.
The first night I talked a bit about the life of Louis Braille, the invention of Braille, my own life, and what Braille means to me and millions around the world. I read from a Braille magazine and a Braille children’s book and passed them around. I distributed Braille alphabet cards, explained the cell, and had people take turns identifying which dots comprise specific letters and then had them create that letter on various gadgets designed for teaching Braille. Each class was slightly different from the one before it–both in who was attending and in who could and could not remember what we had covered previously. By the third class I realized that maybe we weren’t going to master the Braille alphabet per se, but we were going to understand something about Braille and blind people when class was over. I didn’t lower my expectations. Instead I think I broadened them. I covered some of the same ground each time – the story of Louis Braille, the invention of this wonderful system of reading, the history of me, and the powerful difference Braille makes in the life of every person who depends upon it for literacy. I devised various ways for everyone to be engaged in the reading recognition and writing processes–so that some students were writing me whole messages while others were proudly producing a solid line of the letter x or g.
With each class everyone learned something. Most of them will now be able to unravel the mystery of dots on an elevator panel or ATM machine for interested bystanders and, I think, will feel more comfortable the next time they encounter a blind person. As for me I was reminded how beautiful it can be when a group of people suspend those things which render them different from one another in a unified effort to gain new understanding. No one in my class left with a full understanding of Braille, but every dot made a difference.
----------
Need a Lyft? How about an Uber
by Eric Duffy

	Technology is changing the world. The change I want to talk about now is in public transportation. Ride-sharing services such as Lyft and Uber are changing the way many of us travel in Columbus and in other major cities around the country.
In October Uber came to Columbus. For several months Uber offered only a Black Car Service This meant that one could call for a Black Car, which is a luxury vehicle with a driver who is formally dressed. Such a ride would be less expensive than renting a limousine for an hour but still not within my budget.
	In March of this year Uber began offering UberX rides. These are rides  that can be in a car or van. UberX is far less expensive than the Black Car Service. These cars will take no more than four passengers, and the minimum fare is $4. As a way of introducing the UberX service, the company gave new customers five free rides with a maximum fare of $25. I took my free rides, and I can honestly say I very much enjoyed them.
	Not long after taking my Uber rides, I discovered Lyft. Lyft offered fifty free rides in fourteen days. When I heard this, I wondered if it was possible to take fifty rides in fourteen days. I came close. I took forty-seven.
	“So what’s the big deal?” one might be tempted to ask at this point. I got some free rides. So what! Well here goes. We don’t actually place a call for any of these rides. We order them through our smart phones. For example, I open the Lyft or Uber app on my iPhone. Using the location-tracking feature, the app determines my current location. It is usually very accurate.  If it doesn’t zero in on your precise location, you can put in the address yourself. Both apps will tell you how close the nearest driver is. There are times when no drivers are available, and both apps will let you know that as well.
	If you request a ride, you will be given the name of your driver and the type of vehicle that he or she is driving. Lyft gives you the option to call your driver. Uber will allow you to call or text your driver. You do not need to do either one of these things should you not wish to do so. You will get a text or push notification (depending on your settings) when your driver arrives.
	Neither service conducts cash transactions. You must have a debit or credit card on file. Your card will be charged at the conclusion of your ride.  You will receive a receipt by email. Thus there is no need to keep track of a paper receipt. Both Lyft and Uber are considerably cheaper than standard taxi services. Uber’s charge includes a tip for the driver. Lyft gives you a suggested donation amount. This amount does not include a tip. You may increase or decrease this amount.
	It is 2:49 a.m. on Monday, April 7, and the nearest Lyft driver is seven minutes away from my house. There are no UberX drivers available. This could change at any time, however. Ride-sharing services such as Lyft and Uber are receiving resistance in Columbus and other cities around the country, but I believe they are here to stay. They are new to Columbus and have just come to Cincinnati and Cleveland. They have been in other cities such as San Francisco and Washington D.C. for several years.
	I urge you to try one or both of these services as soon as you can. I am going to try to arrange some free rides for our upcoming convention in Columbus this fall. Before taking your first ride, enter my code for each service and you will get a credit added to your account. My Lyft code must be added through an invitation to the service that I will gladly send to you if you let me know you would like it. Only Facebook account holders can sign up with Lyft. That allows the company to verify that you are real through your presence online.My Uber code is “mrtjr”. Take a Lyft or Uber soon and be a part of revolutionary change as it is happening.
----------
Recipes

	The Ohio affiliate was asked to supply recipes for the May issue of the Braille Monitor. The response was overwhelming. In my thankyou to the listserv for the outpouring of recipes, I mentioned that they were all good ones. I was asked to print here the ones that I had regretfully to omit from the Monitor column. Here they are:

Poke Cake
by Carol Akers

	Carol Akers is co-president of the Ohio Parents Division and a member of the Capital Chapter. She volunteered in last summer’s BELL Program. She has atended national conventions and Washington Seminars. In short, she is a longtime Federation leader.

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix
1 small box Jell-o (red is great, even use sugar-free)
1 small container Cool Whip topping (can use fat-free)

	Method: Make cake as directed on box and in a 9-by-13-inch pan.  Cool the cake. Use a fork to poke holes into the cake at about ½ inch intervals, all over the cake.  The more, the better. Mix Jell-o with 1 cup of boiling water and then add 1 cup cold water.  Mix well.  Pour Jell-o evenly over cake; don’t worry, it will soak in.  Place in fridge or freezer to set. Frost with Cool Whip and chill.  If you like, garnish with sliced strawberries, kiwi, or blueberries.  Makes a light, tasty dessert.  Easy and great on short notice for company.
----------
Crockpot Chicken
by Carol Akers

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 long slices Swiss cheese
1 10-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 stick margarine or butter
2 cups dry seasoned stuffing mix

Method: Spray inside of Crockpot with cooking spray.  Place chicken breasts on bottom (can be frozen). Place cheese slices overlapping on chicken.  Mix milk and soup together and pour over cheese. Cut stick of butter into several pieces and add to pot.  Place dry stuffing on top of ingredients.  Cook on low for six to eight hours. Great when served with mashed potatoes. Chicken falls apart and the sauce adds a nice flavor.
----------
Crumb Topped Cherry Pie
by Shelbi Hindel

	Shelbi Hindel is president of the Capital Chapter and secretary of the NFB of Ohio. She supervised meal preparation at last summer’s BELL Program.

Ingredients for Crust:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons milk
Filling Ingredients:
1 1-3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 14.5-ounce cans tart pitted cherries, drained
1 teaspoon almond extract
Topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter, diced
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

Method: Place dry crust ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Add milk and oil. Blend with a fork just until blended. Pat into the bottom and up the sides of a nine-inch pie plate. In a large mixing bowl combine the filling ingredients. Pour cherry mixture into the crust. To make topping, combine flour, sugar, and nuts, if desired, in a small mixing bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the filling.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake pie for thirty-five to forty-five minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. This is good served as is or with either whipped topping or ice cream
----------
Chili Dog Pie
by Shelbi Hindel

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Bisquick
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
6 tablespoons cold water
1 pound package hotdogs, sliced
4 cups chili, homemade or canned
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

Method: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Combine Bisquick, mustard, and water. Dust fingers with extra Bisquick. Press dough on bottom and up sides of the prepared pan. Arrange sliced hotdogs in bottom of crust. Cover with chili and then cheese. Bake uncovered for twenty minutes in the preheated oven, until crust is done and filling is bubbly.
----------
Lime Shrimp and Rice
by Kaiti Shelton

	Kaiti Shelton is president of the affiliate’s student division and a music therapy major at the University of Dayton. She says that this is a quick and nutritious meal fat the end of a long day.

Ingredients:
Minute Rice, a quarter cup per person  is what I use, but you can also do this with pasta if you wish.
1 bag of jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (or devein them yourself) Use four to six shrimp per person.
Lime juice to taste
Canola oil

Method: Cook rice or pasta in a pot according to package directions.  If using Minute Rice, you can also use the microwave. Thaw the shrimp; then place in skillet with enough canola oil to cook them quickly.  Cook on medium until shrimp are slightly browned to give them a cooked flavor. After shrimp cool, add them to the rice or pasta. You can also add sliced red and orange peppers or diced chicken or other meat if you wish. Squirt some lime juice over the dish for a tropical flair. Serve with a salad or side of vegetables for an easy-to-make and delicious dinner.
----------
Death by Chocolate Pie
by Colleen Roth

	Colleen Roth is president of the At-Large Chapter and a longtime Federationists.

Ingredients:
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted  ( I prefer the double-boiler method rather than using the microwave, but it's up to you.)
3/4 cup butter, softened (Do not use margarine instead, and unsalted butter is better than regular, but not critical.)
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 chocolate crumb pie crust or graham cracker crust if you prefer
1/2 teaspoon coffee crystals, optional

Method: The person who gave me this recipe simply threw everything into the mixing bowl together, whipped it until it was fluffy enough to make her happy, put it in the crust, froze it long enough to be firm, then dug in. I personally prefer some of the more traditional steps--creaming the butter with the sugar to let the sugar dissolve a bit, beating the eggs before adding, and melting the chocolate evenly because I think these steps lead to a slightly better pie. But this pie is just so good that nobody really cares if those steps are followed exactly.  It's up to you how you make it. You pretty much can't fail, but here is the way I do it with estimated mixing times for a hand mixer:
With electric mixer beat the butter for 1 to 2 minutes, long enough to make sure it's soft enough to blend well. Add the sugar, and beat until the sugar has dissolved a bit, about three  minutes. Add the beaten eggs, vanilla, chocolate, and coffee crystals if desired, and whip all together for about another three minutes.  Longer beating is okay and will make the filling a bit fluffier, but only to a point. Pour the mixture into the pie shell and chill or freeze for at least three to four hours before serving. Serve small slices because this pie is rich. If you freeze the pie, you can more easily slice it, make the slices thinner, and therefore make it stretch further.
You can dress this pie up with whipped cream, drizzle melted chocolate on top, add chopped nuts,  add peanut butter to the batter, or layer it on the crust before pouring in the filling, etc.  I would think any of your favorite ingredients would only make it better, so add away.
----------
Did You Know?
by Charlene Bolden and Rosa Jones

	Editor’s note: Charlene Bolden is a prospective member of the NFB of Cleveland. She was diagnosed with CBS fifteen years ago. Rosa Jones is the Cleveland chapter diabetic representative and a certified recovery coach. She was diagnosed with CBS three years ago. They are eager to convey information about Charles Bonnet syndrome to everyone. This is what they say:

It is hard to have lost or be in the process of losing vision.  Charles Bonnet syndrome (CBS) can make you feel quite different about things.  If you have suffered the loss of a great deal of vision due to eye diseases such as glaucoma, retinitis pigmentosa, or age-related macular degeneration, you may well be experiencing Charles Bonnet syndrome as well.
 	Charles Bonnet was a Swiss naturalist who discovered that his blind grandfather complained of seeing things that could not have been there.  Through research he found that his grandfather spoke of seeing colors, scenery, and people, quite like cartoon forms.  The syndrome occurs when the brain takes over for the optic nerve and seeks to entertain.  These visual disturbances or hallucinations are generally the result of stored memory replacing what you cannot see.
 	Disturbances occur in kaleidoscopic patterns of colors, scenery, or cartoon characters from one inch to eight feet tall.  It is believed that occurrences can last as long as eighteen months, or longer.  There is no known cure for this syndrome.
 	Discovered in 1762 by Bonnet, this disorder has been widely studied in the United Kingdom and Europe. By the early 1980s doctors in the United States were beginning to learn about it.  Can you imagine the number of people affected by Charles Bonnet syndrome who were treated as mental cases and those who are frightened by what they know nothing about?
 	CBS can only be seen, not smelled, touched, or heard.  If you believe that you have these symptoms, please seek the help of an ophthalmologist.  Perhaps in subsequent articles we can share our personal experiences.
----------
Buckeye Briefs

In Memoriam:

	On Christmas day of 2013 the Ohio affiliate sustained a painful blow. Our friend and brother Bruce Peters died after a slow and difficult illness. Bruce was a diabetic, and gradually that disease sapped his strength and health until he quietly slipped away that day.
	Bruce was one of those people who learned the Federation philosophy and immediately adopted it as their own. He moved rapidly into leadership on the state board of directors. He provided the principal energy and leadership for the NFB of Greater Summit County and served as its president for several years.
	Bruce was deeply kind and gentle. He had the capacity to step back and view an issue from a broader perspective, which made him a valuable leader. He was a deeply committed member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and he always witnessed to his faith. Bruce and his wife Anne were deeply involved with raising their blind grandson, Robby. Bruce knew what Robby needed, and he moved heaven and earth to see that he got it.
JW Smith shared the following memories of Bruce: I first met Bruce at the organizing meeting of the Greater Summit County chapter in 1996. I arrived a little late, and, as we walked in, I can still hear Bruce saying, “Okay, I’m finished now, and the cavalry has just arrived.” At that time I served as chair of the Membership Committee, and this was one of several chapters that we were organizing in a two-year period. From that day my memories of Bruce are of a kind and gentle soul who loved his Federation family. We really became a family for him, and it didn’t take long to recognize his leadership by electing him to the board of directors.
	In many ways Bruce and I were kindred spirits in our votes and positions on issues, but I always knew that Bruce would not hesitate to vote his conscience, even if he was the only one holding his position on an issue. I enjoyed watching him get involved at national conventions, especially as one of the marshals. He was always ready to help wherever he was needed. I think Bruce was able to attend one Washington Seminar, and I can still remember him sleeping on the floor with his special mask because of his sleep apnea. I always wanted Bruce to get even more involved at the national level, and I believe that his physical and emotional well-being kept him from being even more active and involved.
	When I became president in 2008, one of my first tasks was to ask Bruce to chair the banquet, and he did so wonderfully for two years. His disarming sense of humor was evident as he chaired those banquets despite his failing physical health.  One memory I shall always cherish was him whispering in my ear at the 2009 convention in Detroit, “Congratulations, Mr. President, it looks like Ohio will finish fourth or fifth in attendance this year.”
	I was glad to be able to spend some time with Bruce at his last state convention in 2013, and I remember his asking me to work with him on getting corporate funding for our affiliate. President Duffy had contacted him and requested he assume this responsibility, and he was about the business of putting together a team that could help him get this goal accomplished. I cannot close these thoughts without one final but significant memory of Bruce. In 2012, when I had decided not to run for reelection, I needed someone to chair the Nominating Committee who would be mature, fair, and firm, and to this day I am glad that Bruce chaired that committee in his usual confident and competent manner. He will be missed by his Federation family, and I will miss our deep, heartfelt phone and convention conversations terribly. We’ve lost a good man, but I am sure somewhere he is still involved in making preparations to make the journey of his Federation family a little smoother and a little easier. Rest in peace, my brother.

Correction:
In the “Honor Roll Call of Chapters and Divisions” in the last newsletter, we accidentally left out the NFB of Springfield, which gave $100 and has always been generous with the affiliate. We deeply regret the error.

Debbie Baker reports Springfield chapter upcoming events include a chapter panel discussion on domestic violence and how it affects blind people. It will take place at Hillman Manor  at the Springfield Masonic Community, Saturday, June 14. The annual picnic will be July 12 at Shelter House in the Springfield Masonic Community. An  informational meeting and member recruitment is planned for Saturday, September 13, in the Gayer Room of Springfield Warder Library.

	Sherry Ruth reports that the Lorain County chapter had a table at an area vision fair on April 25. They handed out Kernel Books and information about blindness and the NFB. The chapter also voted to contribute $200 to this year’s BELL Program this summer. At chapter elections in January the following officers were elected: president, Sherry Ruth; vice president, Phil Copeland; secretary, Barbara Pierce; and treasurer, Pat Standen.

We received the following recollection of Bob Crawford from Paul Dressell of Cincinnati: My last contact with Bob Crawford was when he called on February 28, 2014, to say that he was in the Louis Stokes Hospital for Blinded Veterans. He was not ill but was learning computer skills as well as Braille. This would not have raised many eyebrows except that he was approaching his 96th birthday. On April 24 I called to check on him but received only a rapid busy signal; I then called Mallard Cove Nursing Home, where he resided, and was told that Bob had died suddenly on April 15.
 	Bob was a member of the prestigious Tuskegee Airmen; he wasn't a pilot but served as a mechanic who maintained the airplanes so that others could fly them. He also was an artist and sold many of his paintings. Bob attended our last chapter picnic, hosted by Deborah Kendrick. He was unable to attend many of our chapter meetings because paratransit wasn't able to get him home in a timely manner. Bob was warm and friendly, and he will be deeply missed.

Another Death in the Family:
	Colleen Roth reports that Eric Burghardt, age  thirty-seven, of Bowling Green, Ohio, died February 19, 2014, at Toledo Hospital. He served as president of the NFB of Greater Toledo from April 18, 2009, until the chapter dissolved in early 2011. Eric lost his vision from treatments he received for leukemia. He also suffered many other complications from the treatments he received. Eric was young and energetic. He will be a great loss to his family and the community.

Kathy Withman reports the following activities in the Miami Valley chapter: A countywide effort is being made to inform newly blinded persons of resources available for blind people. Folders with ten resource lists plus ten NFB pamphlets, and ten NFB-NEWSLINE® pamphlets are being brought by members to their eye doctors, social workers, therapists, etc., to distribute this information. Individual envelopes with the same information are also being distributed by members to individuals in need of this information.
A meeting /carry-in will be held at the home of a member with a blind baby in April. Our annual Italian Dinner fundraiser will be held at Christ Episcopal Church at 20 West First Street in Dayton from 11 a. m. until 3:00  p.m. on May 10. The chapter annual tandem bike event will be held at Schullgate Park in Huber Heights August 9 from 12 noon to 5:00 p.m.

The NFB of Cleveland is pleased to report that William Turner, president of the Cleveland chapter, is walking with the aid of a walker. He is getting stronger each day and is anxious to get busy again with the NFB.  William thanks every one for your many prayers, cards, calls, and visits
We are proud to announce that member Owen Mcafferty is displaying his art work in various locations in the Cleveland area, entering art contests, and donating some pieces to other organizations. Look for updates on Ohio-Talk.

We started April off with a volunteer evening with the Greater Cleveland Food Bank repackaging nonperishable items for distribution in the community at soup kitchens, food pantries, schools, and other much-needed food distribution centers throughout Cuyahoga County. This is our community outreach focus for the year; we will continue volunteering every other month. Another evening is scheduled for June. This is very rewarding and loads of fun.
The Cuyahoga and Cleveland chapters will share a resource table at the city of Cleveland senior day celebration, May 14, at the Cleveland Convention Center. This day is filled with activities, drawings, speakers, and performers. A box lunch is included, all at no cost. We will offer valuable NFB materials pertinent to the needs of seniors, and lots and lots of candy.
In June we will share another resource table with other chapters in northeast Ohio at the annual Cleveland Sight Center White Cane Walk, June 21 at Legacy Village. NFB literature will be available for the hundreds of people who attend this event. We will demonstrate how to write your name in Braille and will provide messages written in Braille for visitors to read to us. Offering many activities, this event showcases services and other organizations that support the blind.
If you are interested in researching what resources are available for blind women in your area, contact Cheryl Fields at cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com.
Do not take your vacation without a luggage tag. We have luggage tags available for sale at $ 3 each, available in red or blue with the NFB logo. Contact Nettie McDermott right away at cantseecutie at att.net.
The Cleveland chapter is happy to announce that Effie Scott is recovering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do not have a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector, it is a very small investment that can save your life. For more information go to www.cdc.gov/co.

The Cincinnati chapter recently concluded that time and membership numbers support returning to the board structure our constitution dictates. For the first time in several years we now have a board consisting of four officers and three directors. Officers elected last November are president, Deborah Kendrick; vice president, Marianne Denning; treasurer, Emily Pennington; and secretary, Deanna Lewis. At our March meeting we elected three directors to fill remaining board seats. Congratulations go to Lisa Hall, Lillie Pennington, and Kim McEachern. Let the work begin!
Activities Calendar

May 15, Deadline Ohio scholarship applications
May 15-22, White Cane Recognition Week
May 31, Close of convention preregistration online
July 1-6, National convention, Orlando, Florida
September 20, Deadline for Gavel Award reports and other award nominations
September 20, Fall board meeting, Columbus
October 31-November 2, Convention of the NFB of Ohio, Worthington