[Ohio-talk] travel abroad

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:39:54 UTC 2015

Marianne, the timing of your post is impecable.  The July call for the
Ohio Association of Blind Students will be all about going abroad to
study and work.  We have a great panel lined up which includes:

Juanita Lily, a blind woman who studied abroad in Costa Rica and
founded Abroad With Disabilities.  AWD uses a web site and social
media platforms including facebook and skype to empower students with
all disabilities do go abroad.  Juanita has assembled a great team of
students who have different disabilities and have traveled to various
locales, and AWD was a great resource for me when I was preparing to
go abroad.  I've invited Juanita to bring one of her other blind team
members as well.
Monica from Mobility International USA will also make an appearance on
the call to talk about the resources she has available and the
#BlindAbroad campaign.  I've been tweeting for it for a while and this
event qualifies me to receive a $50 stipent, which I will funnel into
the division since this is a division event.  Monica will also talk
about the podcasts and other projects that are going on for the
campaign.
Serena Olsen has also been invited.  I caught up with her at
convention and she would love to talk to us about her Peace Corps
work, but the timing of our call might be problematic for her in her
travels.  Barring that it isn't terribly awkward she will be there.
I will also sit on the panel as a student who recently went abroad.

I've opened the call up to NABS as this isn't a topic that receives
significant attention often.  If anyone would like to call in for the
panel let me know and I can send you our call information.  The
division does have some things it needs to take care of after the
presentation, but anyone is welcome to take advantage of the group
that has been assembled to talk on going abroad.

--
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton 2016.