[Ohio-talk] braille display problem

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:11:33 UTC 2016

Hello,
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I was hoping someone
could help.  I use a Brailliant Bi 40 at my job.  In JAWS, I have
set my contracted Braille to input and output.  The user guide
for the Brailliant says that you can write in either contracted
or uncontracted Braille.  I have noticed lately that I am getting
some very interesting results when using contracted Braille,
especially Internet Explorer.  When I do my Google searches from
Salesforce, there is a custom link that already has the company
name listed and all I have to do is put in the city and state in
order to find the phone number.  For example, today one of the
company names I was searching for had the letters llc after their
name.  I entered the city and state in contracted Braille and as
soon as I did that, I got "company name littlec" city and state
in the search field.  I was able to go back and correct it, but
having to do this takes time away from my job.  I also notice
that it is impossible to enter numbers without them being
translated into their respective contractions.  For example, when
I try to enter a number in literary Braille, I get something like
"blecgd..." and I have to go back and correct it using the
computer keyboard.  I also have a Focus blue that I use for my
ipad and laptop and I  have never noticed any issues like this
when using it with JAWS.  I can do numbers in either computer or
literary Braille with the number sign and they translate just
fine in Internet Explorer as do the other contractions.
Therefore, what could be causing the Brailliant to have these
issues when using contracted Braille and is there a way to
correct it? Computer Braille does not save me any time on the
job, so that's why I prefer contracted Braille.  When I've spoken
to tech support about it, they just say use computer Braille even
though it says in the user guide that you can use either one.
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay