[Ohio-talk] recruiting new members

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:32:49 UTC 2016

We are most effective as a movement when we share our knowledge, advice, and
wisdom with one another.  We hope that you will find the following pages
filled to the brim with practical advice on many of the issues we all face
as we seek to improve our affiliates and chapters, including suggestions for
how to increase our membership, how to develop the next generation of
leaders, and how to share our positive message about blindness with the
public most effectively.

Spice Up Your Local Chapter Meeting!

The most effective local chapters are those that ensure that each member can
contribute in meaningful ways. Here are some suggestions for Jobs for
Chapter Members <https://nfb.org/jobs-chapter-members> . The best chapters
also feature a wide variety of activities during their meetings and eagerly
embrace experimenting with new ideas. Try one or more of these suggestions
to add variety to your chapter meeting!

Two young Federationists at National Convention.

Integrate NFB philosophy into your activities! Second in importance only to
our membership, our NFB philosophy is a source of inspiration to tens of
thousands and has helped each of us develop our own personal philosophy of
blindness. These NFB Philosophy Discussion Topics would be a great way to
include a philosophy component in your chapter meetings.

Play music during your chapter meeting! The right upbeat song played before
or after your chapter meeting (or during a break half way through) can keep
people's spirits high and remind them that while we are working hard to
achieve our mission of integrating the blind into society, we need to have a
lot of fun along the way. You could also use a thirty-second song clip to
introduce each item on your agenda. Here are some suggested Songs to Play at
Chapter Meetings <https://nfb.org/songs-play-chapter-meetings> .

Make a game out of giving away door prizes! Many chapters give away door
prizes by drawing names out of a hat. Try determining the winner by playing
this Matching Game <https://nfb.org/matching-game> , or think of your own
innovative method.

Host a game of NFB Trivia! This could be another way to give out door
prizes, but people also love playing games just for fun. Here are some
sample NFB Trivia Questions <https://nfb.org/nfb-trivia-questions>  to get
you started, but be sure to write some questions that relate to your own
state and local trivia. This will make the game much more fun!

Other Useful Resources

.         Download our Training Our People to Serve (TOPS) Handbook (Zip
file) <https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/documents/zip/TOPS_Handbook.zip> . This
contains a vast wealth of information on subjects such as how to build
membership, how to plan conventions and run meetings, and how to teach our
philosophy to new members and to the public.

.         Guide for Local and State Leaders
<https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/State_President_Resources/GuideForLocalandStateL
eadersNationalFederationoftheBlind.html>

.         Listen to one of our Back to Basics Membership-Building Seminars
<https://nfb.org/back-to-basics>  to learn how to build your local chapter
and state affiliate.

.         Pre-Authorized Check (PAC)
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/pac-form-fillout-accessible.pd
f>  Plan Form (Accessible PDF) -- Please fill out the form, print, sign, and
mail to the NFB.

.         Meet the Blind Month Resources <https://nfb.org/meet-blind-month>

.         NFB-LINK: Linking Individuals to a Network of Knowledge
<http://www.nfblink.org/>

.         Listen to How to Kill a Chapter (Audio)
<https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/How_To_Kill_A_Chapter.mp3> to learn what
not to do if you want to build an enthusiastic, effective o