[Ohio-talk] Public Square Update

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:41:42 UTC 2017

Thanks the NFBO passed a resolution  which  includes language about
transportation   it is the  policy of  the NFBO  at the 2016 state
convention. I would encourage all of us to help out with emails and phone
calls to let them know how important this issue is to us.

Resolution 2016-01

Establishing Public Transportation as a Basic Civil Right for Every Ohioan

                WHEREAS, all citizens of this country are guaranteed under
the U.S. Constitution and subsequent statutes various civil rights,
including equal access to opportunities that promote our individual welfare
and enable our pursuit of happiness, regardless of race, age, religion,
nationality, gender, sexual orientation, or physical or financial ability;
and

                WHEREAS, the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
ensures all people  access to  public venues, but transportation is often
not in place for blind people  or those who have other disabilities to reach
all locations; and

                WHEREAS, public and private resources continue to be used to
subsidize more and wider roads, free parking, and the relocation of jobs and
services farther away from existing, underfunded transit services and
communities; and

                WHEREAS, countless qualified blind job seekers and people
with other disabilities are not  able to drive personal cars; Therefore,

                BE IT RESOLVED, that the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio, in Convention assembled  this thirteenth day of November, 2016, in the
City of Independence, Ohio, urge the passage of legislation in Ohio to
declare public transportation to be a basic civil right  that should be
accessible to everyone, regardless of  address, race, age, religion,
nationality, gender, income, sexual orientation, or sensory or physical
disability.