[Ohio-talk] Could someone please advise me the best way to move to a new area if your blind.

Abby Bolling violingirl30794 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:14:41 UTC 2017

Hi Vincent:

Here's the thing. There are two things to consider for transportation
accessibility. These don't go all the way across the board, but it seems
that for Akron, it's pretty consistent.

The closer you get to Kent State university or Tri-C, the better the
public transportation will be. (the rhyme was not intentional!)

Also, Scat is your friend! At least for those places (Like along Smith
Rd), that may be harder/dangerous for a blind person to walk safely along.

Also, it depends what you are wanting to do in Cleveland, but there are
several Akron Metro buses that travel there many many times a day.

For akron metro, please note,, Apple Maps has an updated bus schedule
while Google maps does not!

For cost on metro/scat. On metro, it is 5$.50 a ride. On scat, it is
around $2 per ride (something like 2.50? not 100% sure on that.)

Also for doctor/medical appointments, make use of NET (Non Emergency
Transportation) The most reliable company I have found is City Yellow
Cab on Home Ave.

Cleveland Heights is a great place to live, but I've heard it is higher
up in price for Cost of living.

If price is an issue for you, I would look more toward Barberton. (if
you do go the barberton route, stay away from places on 24th and 25th
streets. The intersection of Second and Tusc is a great area to look
around. At least 3 different buses stop at that intersection.

If you want to lean more toward the Akron Area, look up Portage Path
Housing Assistance. (Not connected with Portage Path Behavioral Health!
I made that mistake before)

I don't know how much My roommates and I would be able to help with the
actual moving process, but contact me off list and we can try to
coordinate. (We have a huge Ford f-250 Van that has been adapted for
wheelchair use. (Floor dropped about 6 inches.) We actually just helped
a friend move to akron from Indiana and we got all of her stuff in one
go. (It took some tetras playing, but we did it!

Hope all of this helped, and if you have any questions, please reach
out. I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.

Good luck!

Abby