[Ohio-talk] Braille Music

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 03:49:28 UTC 2017

Hi Kaiti,

Many years ago when I lived in Louisiana, I learned music braille when
I started taking piano lessons in the fourth grade around age 11. A
couple of years later I think, I started selecting my instruments to
play in a concert band. I experimented with the clarinet, oboe, French
horn and finally settled on the flute. I also play piccolo as well. In
high school, I sang in the choir and the lyrics for the music was
brailled by our music instructor.
I still remember after all these years how to read braille music. I
also took Hadley's Braille music course in which I had to play back
various exercises in the book. Back then it was on tape.
I am sure the way music is presented have not changed much, but to play
back music and record it in another medium have changed.
I'm not sure how much help this student needs. Paula Jordan used to
teach piano lessons here in Cincinnati at Cincinnati Association for
the Blind. Since she had retired, I'm not sure if she is doing the
teaching from her home now. I would have to contact her. If you need
her contact information, write to me privately at lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
and I'll give it to you.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall