[Ohio-talk] Question about National Convention assistance

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 15:49:29 UTC 2018

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund
by Allen Harris

 Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan Fund Committee and was
one of the people who came up with the idea of honoring our former president
and longtime leader by establishing a program to promote attendance at the
national convention, where so much inspiration and learning occur. Here is
Allen's announcement about the 2018 Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund Program:
Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have not done
so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship grant. Perhaps
this July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in Orlando,
Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at the
largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the world.
The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an NFB
national convention are
the roundtrip transportation,
the hotel room for a week,
the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home).

We attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or
an individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't
pay all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of
$400 to $500 per individual.

We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention mentor,
someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to share
money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive agenda in
the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the amazing
experience that is convention week.
Who is eligible?
Active NFB members,
blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an NFB national convention
because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?
.	You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local
NFB information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this
is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.
.	You contact your state president in person or by phone to request
his or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to
expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.
.	You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state president.
He or she must add a president's recommendation and then email both letters
directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Committee. Your
president must forward the two letters no later than April 15, 2018.
Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:
.	Your full name and all your telephone numbers-label them-cell phone,
home, office, other person (if any);
.	Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address;
.	Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter
president, if you attend a chapter;
.	Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone
number;
.	Your specific request, and explain how much money you need from this
fund to make this trip possible for you. We suggest you consult with other
members to make a rough budget for yourself.
The body of your letter should answer these questions:
How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want to
attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share or
give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special
circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.
When will I be notified that I am a winner?
If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a letter
with convention details that should answer most of your questions. The
committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15, but
you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you are
chosen:
.	Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from
attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for
roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)
.	Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by
May 31.
.	Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many
conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.
.	If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not
win a grant this year.
How will I receive my convention scholarship?
At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded with the
amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card will be
listed in the letter we send you. The committee is not able to provide funds
before the convention, so work with your chapter and state affiliate to
assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you win a
scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your debit or
credit card.
What if I have more questions? For additional information email the
chairman, Allen Harris, at kjscholarships at nfb.org or call his Baltimore,
Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.
Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first convention on
the national level and join several thousand active Federationists in the
most important meeting of the blind in the world. We hope to see you in
Orlando.
Media Share

(back) (contents) (next

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner, President
NFBOH-Cleveland
P: (440) 462-9755
A: PO Box 141077
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
E: President.NFB.ClevelandOhio at Gmail.com

blindness is not what holds you back