[Ohio-Talk] Happy Labor Day!

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 14:33:00 UTC 2019

"Obstacles are Opportunities"  The NFB is  an instrument of change!

Dear Ohio Affiliate, Happy Labor Day weekend,

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor
movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of
American workers. The work that we do every day as Federation members mirror
this picture. We are a very important part of society, and whatever we have
decided to do can only be rewarded by reflecting on all of the work that
thousands of Federation members contributed, who came before us. Dr. King
said that no  work is insignificant  . All labor that uplifts humanity has
dignity and importance, and should be undertaken with painstaking
excellence." Relax, unwind and let Labor Day  remind you of the real reason
you're resting!

Last week, I was invited to the Cleveland chapter's Town Hall, which was a
very inspiring and informative event. We were introduced to several new
community networks and OOD recognized the Ohio Affiliate as a significant
and an important partner. I can remember not very long ago; that OOD and
NFBO could not find a way to communicate effectively where all parties could
assist in the best interest of blind Ohioans. However, we have now come to
an understanding that a culture change was necessary for all involved. This
is why a solid commitment from OOD and the NFB has finally come into
fruition.

It is my pleasure to announce that, Alex French has been selected as the
first member approved to attend one of our NFB training centers, funded by
OOD. This is a direct result of the work of several Ohio Federation members.
Though, this process will still need fine tuning, however it is very clear
that OOD is willing to make every effort to work with the Ohio Affiliate.
Thus, this remarkable action is a tremendous and a positive change.

Additionally, the Ohio Affiliate is drafting a proposal that will offer
training for OOD staff to learn about "The Etiquette of Mentorship for the
blind.". This is another historical and remarkable opportunity that we hope
to implement in the near future.

Moreover, I want to inform you that a meeting with The Regional Transit
Authority (RTA) in Cleveland was productive. Discuss were significant
concerns regarding rood dispatchers, long hold times and passenger safety.
This meeting was industrious and helped to create a dialogue to work out
some of the problems that Cleveland has had for a few years. There are major
changes within RTA including a new CEO who has not transitioned to Cleveland
as of yet. Many of the top leaders are acting and will resume to their
former positions when the CEO comes in September. Therefore, Cleveland
should slowly see changes for the better. Consequently, as the President of
the Affiliate, I will monitor the situation with the support from the
National Office.

Finally, I would like to encourage all of you to start getting ready for the
convention and if you have not figured out a way to be more involved, please
reach out to Sheri Albers or other leaders in the Ohio Affiliate.

Things to remember:
1: The cut off day to reserve your room at the DoubleTree Hotel is October
11th, 2019.
2:  The convention will be held on November 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
 3: The cost for Preregistration for the Convention is $15.00 and the
Pre-Banquet cost is $40.00.
4: The cost for Registration for the Convention is $15.00 and the cost for
the Banquet is $40.00This will increase by $5.00 each at the hotel.
5: Chapters and Divisions should be submitting their Gavel Reports by
October 1, 2019, and if you need help, reach out to Heather Leiterman at
Hdleiterman74 at yahoo.com <mailto:Hdleiterman74 at yahoo.com> .
 6: October is meet the blind month and all of us should be planning to do
something in the community to promote the national federation of the blind.
7: September 23, 2019 will be the date for the next NFBO Board of Director's
meeting.

I am Shure that several other items can be covered, but keep watching Ohio
talks and tell other Chapter members to join the watch as well.

Please enjoy yourselves and let's keep building the federation!

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573 or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back