[Perform-talk] Newegg.com receives NFB's highest rating

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Thu Jul 30 15:25:50 UTC 2009

Hi Friends,
Thought this article might interest you. The URL and text are below my name.
Donna Hill
***
National Federation of the Blind Awards Newegg.com With "Gold Level"
Certification for Providing Equal Access to Visually Impaired Users |
SYS-CON MEDIA
http://www.sys-con.com/node/1052623

CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/29/09 -- Newegg.com Inc., the
second-largest online-only retailer in the United States, and the
National Federation
of the Blind (NFB), the nation's leading advocate for Internet access by
blind Americans, today jointly announced that the NFB has awarded its
Gold Level
NFB-NVA Certification to Newegg.com, the first-ever online retailer to
be so honored. The NFB's Gold Level Certification is awarded in
recognition of commitment
and innovation to help ensure equal web access to the visually impaired
individuals.

Dr. Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The National Federation of the Blind is pleased that Newegg.com,
one of the largest
online retailers in the U.S., is setting an example for the industry by
providing an unprecedented level of access to its Web site for blind
shoppers.
We are pleased to award Newegg.com our gold level Nonvisual
Accessibility Web Certification, which has never before been achieved by
an online retailer.
It is also notable that Newegg.com achieved this high level of
certification in only six months."

Newegg.com has launched a variety of improvements and enhancements for
the visually impaired, including the implementation of special software
programs
that allow users with sight issues to navigate the site quickly and
easily. Changes include an advanced Screen Access program and a
specially designed
magnification program that allows users to choose multiple settings to
adjust size, font color and other visual attributes that can improve the
online
shopping experience for the visually impaired.

Newegg's Vice President of Marketing and Merchandising Bernard Luthi
noted: "Newegg.com is fiercely committed to making our customer
experience the very
best it can possibly be for all our users -- and that includes the more
than 11.3 million Americans who live with vision-related disabilities.
We are extremely
grateful for the assistance afforded us by the NFB and Deque in helping
improve our site for visually impaired users, and we look forward to
making ongoing
improvements as new technologies and features become available to us."

The NFB's Nonvisual Accessibility Web Certification Program (NFB-NVA) is
conducted in partnership with Deque,
http://www.deque.com/,
a software company dedicated to ending web discrimination and improving
equal Internet access for all people, regardless of disability. The
program brings
Internet companies and developers together with leading experts in the
field of web accessibility for the blind to ensure equal access,
including equal
transaction speeds, for the visually impaired. Applicants for Gold
Certification undergo a stringent evaluation and testing process for
their sites.

During the six-month evaluation process of Newegg.com, NFB and Deque
experts worked closely with Newegg.com site developers to make
improvements in the
design and functionality of the site's many features geared toward
helping visually impaired users. As part of the evaluation process, the
NFB conducted
manual testing that included blind and low vision users utilizing the
site for a "real-life" experience and completing purchase transactions
at the same
speed as a sighted person. Only Internet companies that have addressed a
significant portion of all accessibility issues are granted the right to
display
the NFB-NVA seal of approval on their sites. In addition, the NFB
continues to monitor all its certified sites and renews certification on
an annual basis.

Preety Kumar, CEO Deque Systems, Inc. said, "We are delighted to have
had the opportunity to work with the NFB and Newegg.com on achieving the
highest level
of accessibility by any online retailer. We look forward to continued
collaboration as we strive to maintain this level of excellence."

About Newegg.com

Newegg.com Inc. is the second-largest online-only retailer in the United
States. Founded in 2001, Newegg has more than 12 million registered
users and regularly
earns industry-leading customer service ratings. The award-winning website,
www.newegg.com,
offers customers a comprehensive selection of the latest high-tech
products, detailed product descriptions and images, as well as how-to
information and
customer reviews. Using the site's online tech community, customers have
the opportunity to interact with other computer, gaming and consumer
electronics
enthusiasts. Newegg.com Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Newegg Inc.
and is headquartered in City of Industry, California.

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is
the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people
in the United
States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence
and self-confidence.
It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of
the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National
Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the
United States for the blind led by the blind. Please visit our Web site:
www.nfb.org.