[Perform-talk] Some press for the Braille coin and its ride on Atlantis + my new series on Braille literacy begins

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue May 19 00:42:13 UTC 2009

Hi Friends,

I don't know if I had anything to do with it, but after leaving comments
on several Numismaster articles about the coin sales bemoaning the
failure of the news to point out why this coin exists, they finally said
it.  I left them a thank you comment in which I mention my new series of
articles on Braille literacy which has begun on the American Chronicle
online magazine.  The links to those articles are in the comment post
which is copied below the article.  The article is, as usual, copied
below my name with the link to it.
Enjoy,
Donna Hill

***
 From Numismaster, 5/18/09
http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6694
Two Braille commemorative silver dollars were sent into space May 11
aboard the space shuttle Atlantis to help call attention to the plight
of blind children in the United States.

The National Federation of the Blind says that only 10 percent of blind
children today are learning Braille.

It is the hope of the NFB that it can sell 50,000 of the coins during
the 11 days the Atlantis is in orbit.

Mark Riccobono, executive director of the NFB's Jernigan Institute,
said: "Blind children in America are facing a crisis - only 10 percent
of them are learning Braille, leaving 90 percent illiterate. It is
imperative that the general public act swiftly to reverse illiteracy
among blind children. That
is why we are asking everyone to purchase a Louis Braille Bicentennial
silver dollar before Atlantis returns to earth."

The proof version is priced at $41.95 and the uncirculated version is
$33.95. Maximum mintage is 400,000 for the two versions combined. Visit
www.usmint.gov for more information.
Comments
On May 18, 2009 Donna W. Hill saidThank you for writing about America's
Braille literacy crisis. It's not only the NFB that uses these
statistics.  I found similar numbers on the Braille Institute of America
site, and they thanked the National Braille Press and the American
Foundation for the Blind for the
stats.

If anyone is interested in a more in depth look at the problem, a new
series has begun on American Chronicle.  The first, an overview,
"Braille Literacy: the Coin on a Mission, the Crisis and the
Controversy" is at:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/102105

The next two weeks will feature interviews with attorney, president of
the PA chapter of the National Organization of Parents of Blind
Children, and the mother of a legally blind 8-year-old, Carlton Anne
Cook Walker and Carrie Gilmer, mother of an 18-year-old, legally blind
honors student and president
of the Minnesota chapter of the same organization.
Other interviews covering other aspects of the subject will follow.
People can find future articles at:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

--
Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 6.12410