[Perform-talk] Audio description

Masha Sten-Clanton morningglow at verizon.net
Tue Jun 9 12:13:43 UTC 2015

I've been thinking about a lot of the same things, Julie! For me, it's
not possible to not look at all blind onstage. So the question might be:
How many characters might it be acceptable to play as blind? Or can an
audience be persuaded to accept that a character can see while the actor
cannot? (This isn't as wild as it sounds, remember -- for centuries men
played all the women's roles, and now, especially in community theaters,
casting women as men is common, since there are more women than men
auditioning. Also, a local theater here once did a production of
"Fiddler on the Roof" with an Oriental Tevye, and with his top-notch
singing and acting, the audience had no problem.)

In other words, what audiences will accept is a moving target. The trick
may be to move it in our direction.

Masha

On 6/8/2015 10:01 PM, Julie McGinnity via Perform-talk wrote:
> I am very interested and would be happy to oversee this project.
>
> I think one of the things that we have never looked at in depth was
> what it means to be a blind actor.
>
> Let me begin by saying that I am not strictly an actor.  I am an opera
> singer, which means that I am a musician, but I also believe that I am
> an actor.  I have performed in operas, recitals, and opera scenes
> programs as well as musicals many years ago.
>
> I have unfortunately had to question what it means to me personally to
> be a blind actor.  I won't tell the whole story here, but I hav been
> pondering several questions for years now, such as:
>
> How much should our blindness impact our casting?  Should we only
> consider blind roles?  Should we consider them at all?  If we believe
> that only blind people should play blind roles, then should blind
> actors simply exist to fill in these (admittedly limited) places?
>
> How can we show the world that we can act beyond our blindness?  How
> can we show our colleagues that we can be independent on stage, even
> as we act as part of the group?  How do we naturally and affectively
> portray our characters to the audience and integrate the alternative
> techniques we will need to use to navigate and interact with other
> characters?  Is it not acceptable to look at all blind on stage?  If
> it is, what is acceptable, and what is not?  And how do we show them?
>
> As you can tell, I never think about this topic...  :)  Definitely
> something that should be discussed, especially as we move forward not
> only as a division but also as the organization reaches a new time in
> its existence.
>
> On 6/8/15, Jordy Stringer via Perform-talk <perform-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> I would love the chance to talk with you about this. Please e-mail me at:
>>   jordystringer83 at gmail.com
>>
>> We can talk about mailing information and all that.
>> Talk to you soon.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/perform-talk_nfbnet.org/jordystringe
>>> r83%40