[Perform-Talk] Braille in Performing: What does it mean to you?

Lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 03:07:05 UTC 2016

Hi All!
The list has been pretty quiet as of late, so I wanted to ask
your opinion on something.  What advantages and disadvantages
does braille pose for you when performing? Do you use it to
play/sing music, read a script when acting, or glance at notes
when giving a speech? What about people who play instruments, how
do you use braille music? For the actors out there, do you use it
when first running through a script or choose to memorize it
pretty much right away? For our members who don't use braille (I
didn't forget about you), what alternatives to braille have you
found that work well?
I will share a little story with you about my experience:
When I was younger and I played the violin, I had no clue that
braille music even existed.  My instructor would record the notes
for me so that I could listen to him speak as I played.
Eventually I just memorized the song.  I know that many people
who play instruments actually don't memorize the music but read
it as they play, so I'm wondering what alternatives blind people
use.  Just as a side note, I would love to see a great discussion
on this topic but if you disagree with someone I ask that you do
it respectfully and without shaming anyone.  It's okay to
encourage people to do something or tell them your reasons for
doing things a certain way but please remember that we are all
here to share experiences and help each other.
Federation Love,
Lizzy

-
Elizabeth Muhammad
National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division - Board
Member