[Perform-Talk] Braille Beats Fine Arts Program

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 05:18:34 UTC 2019

Hello,fellow performers,

The Braille Beats Fine Arts Program, a 9 day residential fine arts
intensive for blind students aged 8 through 18, will be hosting it's 15th
intensive this summer at the Lions Bear Lake Camp in Lapeer, MI. This
unique program seeks to give blind students, who are too often excluded or
left behind in fine arts classes and programs, the skills they need to more
fully participate in the arts. Music classes include: braille music; music
theory and ear training; improvisation; and ensembles including a SATB
choir, a piano ensemble, and a new ukulele ensemble starting for the first
time this year. A tactile art class shows students, some of whom have never
been properly accommodated in visual arts classes, that art can be
enjoyable and accessible after all. Yoga and a One Touch Self-Defense
course promote confidence and the ability to move gracefully and safely
throughout the world. In addition to all courses, a talent show and other
special events add to the fun, and the program culminates with a recital.

Lessons in independence, daily living skills, organization, and more are
woven into the fabric of the program, and modeled by the blind faculty and
staff members. Last year 5/8 of the music department faculty members were
blind, and all had degrees in music, our artist in residence was a blind
sculpter who also taught our One Touch course, and our cabin monitors in
both the boys and girls cabins were also blind.

We are in most need of cabin monitors for this year. The ideal cabin
monitor should possess excellent organizational skills, good communication
skills, patience and understanding when working with children (including
those with a wide range of blindness skills or additional disabilities),
and a positive attitude about blindness. While proficiency on a musical
instrument is not essential, it would be a plus. The monitor should also
recognize the importance of the skills being taught in the program such as
braille music literacy and music theory, even if they have not studied them
personally.

All faculty and staff positions at Braille Beats are filled by volunteers,
but lodging, meals, and travel expenses including airfare are covered by
the program. Dates for the 2019 program are June 15th through the 23rd, and
staff typically arrange to arrive the day before to settle in before
students arrive.

If interested in being a cabin monitor for this year, please either get in
touch with me or email braillebeats at gmail.com. My contact details are
below.

Sincerely,
Kaiti Shelton, Braille Beats Music Department Faculty Member

--
Kaiti Shelton, MT-BC
Music Therapist-Board Certified
Also at kaiti.shelton at gmail.com