[Pibe-division] Is this the way to teach a kindergartener Braille?

Mindy Lipsey mindy_lipsey at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 21:43:01 UTC 2009

I wanted to share some thoughts...

I have 2 boys with low vision.  My oldest started learning braille in 3rd grade when his vision was 20/200.  He did learn braille visually and then without looking.  I've learned that when partially sighted children has some useful vision, TVIs tend to take two very opposing approaches.

One will say these children should learn to use their remaining vision and then compensate using non-visual techniques.  Others will use sleepshades to teach the children not to rely on their low vision at all.

With my oldest son, I was very hung up on the number of his visual acuity.  But it's just a number.  It doesn't in any way describe how well your child functions.  I'm glad Matthew started braille at age 9 though, b/c he had problems functioning with his remaining vision.

Josh, on the other hand, is in 3rd grade and has a visual acuity of 20/220.  I am approaching his IEP differently though.  He functions perfectly.  Not one sign of trouble.  He smacks baseball out of the park, reads newspaper print without the slightest bit of difficulty, etc.  I decided to hold off on his services and look at how he functions, not just his visual acuity number.

Just remember that visual acuity is a number.  It's not very useful in most ways, except by the government when deciding when to declare someone "legally blind".

Mindy