[Pibe-division] A bit of Wisdom and Experience asked for...

Kristen J Sims ksims at opsb.net
Mon Mar 9 14:07:09 UTC 2009

Carrie,
We have students with fine motor issue as well that are currently learning braille. Depending on the age I usually wont fool with a lot of "pre-braille activities" If the child has problems with fine motor he may not use a traditional perkins or slate to write with. For instance, we use a note taker with one student who has CP and another does use a perkins but has to position his fingers with his good hand first (he is a really fast writer though).  For reading, I may start with braille blocks and tac-tiles to build letter recognition for some students but go right into the alphabet using an age appropriate program with others. Even for little PK students we braille everything that is in print using braillables: on the walls, the desks, learning centers, and toys. For our babies we start brailing everything in the home that they play with favorite toys, books, bowls, etc. Remember people can read braille in many ways some people can read with their palms and at least one person with his tongue. By the way if he is 3 and reading 2-3 inch letters... he wont keep up in school, he just wont be able to read fast enough to be successful and reading will most likely be a chore. Building an early love for reading using braille will help him to compete with his peers.
Kristen J. Sims, MEd NCLB
Teacher of Blind Students