[Pibe-division] Is this the way to teach akindergartenerBraille?

Gail Katona Wagner wagner_g at aps.edu
Mon Mar 9 19:07:44 UTC 2009

The TVI is using the Mangold program - I recognize the worksheet!
I will have my "low vision" and "totally blind" students use a crayon,
or pencil to "mark" their answers (sometimes). For my students with
vision, they do it without looking with their eyes. Use the left finger
to hold the place, use the right hand (if they're right handed!) to put
a line under the letter/word - just slide the pencil under the left
finger.
As a teacher, this is a quick way to check the students work. I practice
this when I and with him/her - and they use this technique when
practicing at home. If this is ALL that is happening, you need to
question - and I most certainly agree that he should not be encouraged
to LOOK with his eyes to do this. I also do many other activities when
teaching beginning Braille, and most do not use vision.
... there is no such thing as "whipping through with a CCTV"! There is a
time and place for magnification but if a student needs a CCTV, he
should be a braille reader. Of course all kids like to use their vision!
But we need to really encourage our kids that Braille is great and
efficient etc.
....his Braille skills are well behind because he is not being exposed
to Braille with the same intensity as print.
Good luck,
Gail