[Pibe-division] thanks for tvis helping me with my certification question found out must apply Sara Rooz

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:24:02 UTC 2011

Thanks to everyone who assisted me in my query as to how to apply for my certification as teacher of the blind and visually impaired reissuance of initial license and professional certification. I was told by the BOCES certification officer, to apply online for both a reissuance of my initial license and apply online for my professional license as teacher of the blind and visually impaired. I was told to include the letter that I faxed to the New York state education department along with my application for professional certification. Due to budget cuts in my state, since I provide vision education services as a related service, as an independent related service provider providing vision education services, related service providers are deliberately discouraged in delivering their related services. Who knows if I will be approved to work with my students who are blind and visually impaired with additional disabilities? One parent will push for me to provide vision education services for the child. It is terrible that blind and visually impaired children even those with additional disabilities, will have to advocate via parents and teachers of the blind to be allowed to get these services. Unfortunately, these students will not learn valuable skills outlined in the core curriculum and expanded core curriculum. How will these students function as adults if the children do not get vision education services and orientation and mobility services? I can only say, as a blind student,  that I benefitted greatly by the services I received in high school from a certified teacher of the blind and a certified orientation and mobility instructor, since the services were provided on a continuous basis at my home. The commission for the blind and visually handicapped cannot be depended on to teach students valuable orientation and mobility skills, this is because instructors see clients for 12 weeks for a few hours a week. These are my thoughts.

Sara Rooz

Certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired in New York

Independent related service provider vision education services in New York City