[Pibe-division] first steps for great braille readers

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:39:53 UTC 2011

Denise, you have outlined terrific and sequential steps to teach Braille. I would just like to add that a blind certified teacher of the blind can teach Braille and tracking by having the blind child put his//her hands on top of the blind teacher's hands to understand the correct method of tracking. The same system can be used when teaching the child to Braille on the brailler. The blind teacher can have the child first feel the correct placement of fingers on the brailler and physically place the child's fingers on a brailler.The blind certified teacher of the blind  can model how to type each letter on the brailler; The blind certified teacher of the blind can  puthis/her hands on top of the child's hand to notice which finger the child who is blind is  pressing  on the brailler and correct inappropriate placement of fingering of keys on a brailler.  I used the above methods to teach a blind child the entire Braille alphabet, the corresponding contractions for the majority of letters and some common contractions. I thoroughly enjoyed teaching Braille to this blind  child.

Sara Rooz

Certified Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired in New York

Independent Related Service Provider Vision Education Service Provider Vision Education Services in New York City