[Pibe-division] Re-Defining the Term "Accessible" for preK-12 in the Digital Education Era - We Need a Better & More Effective Definition

Eric Guillory ericguillory at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 11:47:38 UTC 2013

Thank you so much for this comprehensive message. While technology has presented tremendous opportunities for our blind and visually impaired students, it has also presented many unintended challenges and roadblocks for those of us who serve them. I am grateful that, here in Louisiana, though the state is slated to become entirely computer-based with regard to end of course and other assessments, we have been assured that are blind kids will continue to receive hardcopy braille forms of those assessments. As you say, maps, graphics, mathematics, and other multiline assignments simply cannot be conveyed adequately using digital means. And, as you also wisely point out, even in instances when information can be conveyed digitally using refreshable braille, screen readers, and the like, our students simply, at least in many instances, have not been adequately trained, nor have their instructors.

These are murky waters indeed, but we have been compelled to navigate them and must do so with the knowledge that, for our kids to be competitive, we who serve them must remain current and alert to potential difficulties and challenges. Thank you, as always, Dr. V for keeping this issue in the forefront of our thinking.

Eric Guillory
PIBE Pres.

Sent from my iPhone