[Pibe-division] ESY for braille instruction

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue May 7 20:23:02 UTC 2013

The way we talk about it is in terms of being at a "critical point" in instruction, so that even the normal loss of skills over a summer break that all students demonstrate would be detrimental to the student's progress in school.  Reading fluency is a huge deal, and becomes more and more critical the older a student is.  Use your data for his current fluency and compare it to numbers from the Texas Assessment Kit for the reading rate of braille readers.  You could also compare it to the reading rate of sighted students in his class or with something like the Jerry John's.  I believe they have data for print readers through 8th grade.

Hope this helps.