[Quietcars] Hybrid vehicles' silence seen as posing peril, MSNBC.com, June 8, 2009

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 11 06:23:54 UTC 2009

Thanks for posting your comment. I too, am a responsible traveler and have
been for many years. I am a cane user and travel independently regularly
across the country using local transportation as needed. As a pedestrian I
observe and follow the same rules of the road that drivers do and have
observed many of them doing very foolish things. I take the same pride in my
mobility skills that a trucker would take in the number of miles driven
without an accident. However, I have had a couple of close calls with quiet
cars. Fortunately, the only result was a bent cane. However, I believe that
manufacturers and designers need to be held responsible for adequate safety
standards under all conditions. Making hybrid cars pedestrian friendly is
not any different then requiring seat belts/shoulder harnesses, air bags or
the ability to meet emission standards. Instead of worrying about the
negative tone of these articles we need to form a coalition with these
groups and make sure that the demands that protect the safety of the public
as a whole including children, elderly and emergency response workers as a
whole are met. We do not need to be selling out to manufacturers who are
making exorbitant profits at our expense.
Chuck Krugman, M.S.W., Paralegal
1237 P Street
Fresno ca 93721
559-266-9237