[rehab] Arabic or Somali screen readers and other English learning resources?

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Fri Jan 13 15:11:44 UTC 2012

Hi Elizabeth,

There may be an Arabic version of JAWS or Window Eyes because the language
is so widely spoken, but I would be surprised if there is one in Somali.
Ask Freedom Scientific.  Even if you find an Arabic one, it won't
translate English into Arabic, and unless you plan to use Arabic
textbooks, I don't think it will be of much use to you.  There are English
to Arabic translators which were used by the troops in Iraq, but I think
they are still pretty expensive.  A company in Minnesota makes them.

If you are working with a licensed, or at least experienced, ESL
(increasingly known as ELL, or English Language Learner)instructor, they
will tell you that native languages are not used much in ELL class,
because students tend to revert to it. The theory is to immerse students
in English so they will learn it more quickly, and in order to do that,
they need to use it all the time, in and outside of class. Learning
English is a slow process.

At BLIND, Inc. we have an English language program for immigrants and
refugees.  They start out learning English and basic cane travel on a part
time basis, and then gradually transition into our other classes.  By the
time they graduate, they are skilled users of alternative techniques, just
like our English speaking students. The only time we use interpreters is
if a student has no English whatsoever, and we use them only for a short
time to help the student transition into English.

We start by teaching our ELL students grade 1 Braille along with
conversational English, and they use it for reading and writing.  We teach
them JAWS later, but it helps to have a refreshable Braille display
because JAWS mispronounces so many English words. Those of us who have
spoken English all our lives can intepret what JAWS is saying, but new
English speakers cannot.  For that reason, I would strongly advise against
using screen readers to teach ELL students English. Braille is best.

Since many ELL texts are based on pictures, you will have to search around
to find some where text is used more, and Braille them. Pictures will
require a lot of explanation by the instructor. You will need to buy some
models as tactile representations of what you are talking about.  Look for
plastic animals, cars, trucks, etc.  We also have a completely furnished
dollhouse, measuring cups, pots and pans, etc.  You get the idea.

The mainstream ELL programs in the Twin Cities have people who know grade
one Braille, which we helped them learn, and they have Braille translation
software and embossers.  They will not attempt to work with blind students
who do not use Braille because is so labor intensive, and they lack the
staff to do so.  That's why we started our program.  When our students
graduate, they are in either level 2 or level 3 ELL, and they need to
continue studying it to get to the higher levels necessary for college.
As long as they know grade 1 Braille, the mainstream programs can work
successfully with them.

I hope this information helps you.  We would consider taking ELL students
from out of state, but there are some logistical issues that we would need
to discuss first.  Your state agency would have to fund their training.
If you are interested, e-mail me at ddavis at blindinc.org.

Dick Davis
Assistant Director
BLIND, Inc.