[rehab] question for the list

Husseini, Sahar sahar.husseini at nebraska.gov
Tue Aug 6 19:53:18 UTC 2013

We now do a 600-hour or four months training.  The idea of immersing someone for just one week disturbs me a little.  I think you need enough time to realize that blindness does not have to be scary.  One week spells out scary in big bold letters for me.  Dick said it so eloquently about the training; I couldn't add more to that if I tried.  Instead of trying, I am quoting.  *smile*  "It seems like those centers that have such a requirement also do the best work.  That is kind of a no brainer, because staff immersion training provides a knowledge base, an attitude base, and a confidence base, all of which a person needs to work effectively with blind people.  As far as I can tell, blindness rehabilitation is the only field that questions such fundamental career preparation, and it shows in the kind of services (or lack thereof) that blind people get.  If you can't walk the walk, you won't be able to talk the talk, at least not convincingly."