[rehab] Heartbraking story

Angel angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 00:25:01 UTC 2016

Blindness is a challenge which lends itself to those who would take
advantage of it to gain advantage over others.  Using the prejudice and
sympathy others feel toward those who are blind.  It is easier to choose
this way to get what a person needs.  Than to try as best as one can to work
around the inconvenience blindness causes.  The sighted too often encourage
a sense of helplessness to exist within us blind people.  Often it is most
difficult to live lives of empowerment and strength.  But, in the end, it is
worth it to live independent lives.  Despite constraints foisted upon us by
a well meaning paternalistic society. Here is a link to an interview given
by Ray Charles about his mothers attitude toward him and toward his
blindness, and of the misunderstanding of this positive attitude by those in
her community.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFxEwyPknc
 In our day, such things as she made him do to learn self reliance would be
considered "child abuse".  But, he demonstrated to us all the worth of her
teaching.  Would we have sighted parents now, a we had in days past.  Who
were courageous enough to teach us things we had to know.  To cause us to be
independent and to be self sufficient.  It doesn't take degrees, or an
education to teach a blind child to be independent and self reliant, and to
have enough to contribute financially to the community in which he lives.
It just takes the desire to do so, and the willingness and courage to fight
the waves of societies paternalistic attitudes to make it happen.  It is
such stuff which makes a true man or a true woman .  All that lives exists
with both advantages and disadvantages.  It is each humans obligation to
maximize his talents and advantages.  While minimizing his disadvantages.
If he focuses on that which disadvantages him, he will always know failure.
Rather than success.  Tell your friend:  He can get the currency identifier
he seeks free of charge.  By asking his regional branch of the National
Library for the blind.  If he is registered with them, the government will
send to him a currency identifier.