[rehab] Blindness mannerisms:

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 01:52:33 UTC 2017

You have some very good points angel! I am at training in one of the NFB centers. I just started last week so being under sleep shades is comfortable in some circumstances and not in others. I am not familiar with the area where we live or outside the center so today when I had to walk and mass with open chair people with canes to get to our designated fire safety spot I was very confused. The rest of the students couldn't figure out why I was confused and overwhelmed. Everyone tried to give me directions and explain things at the same time which did not help that I appreciated their assistance. The staff member spoke up and reminded them that I had only been there barely 2 weeks and it was understandable that I did not know where curbs or street names. He also reminded them that I take a different bus  then the rest of the students and that was why their orientation directions were not helping. See, my boyfriend is at the end of his training and I ride in with him and a roommate of his. These people were so used to where there were going because either they have been here for seven months and are at the end of their programs or have had pretty good training when younger. Then there are some who cheat with their shades. Just goes to show that it isn't just people who have been blind for 20 years that can have that attitude. I am so sorry the counselor made you feel so bad. I don't know which is worse; having Low Vision all your life with little skill opportunities until you desperately need them or losing vision later in life and going through what you did. I totally agree that everyone needs to remember where they came from and try to understand the journey is different for all. I really appreciated the staff member who though totally blind realized that one out of 10 people was struggling and asked me how I was doing. We had a talk afterwards and he helped me. This experience today just reminded me of what you had written. Hang in there Angel, and if you want to talk off-line I'd be happy to.

 Ericka Short
 from my iPhone 6+