[Social-sciences-list] JAWS and Command Prompt: A Weird Issue

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sun Feb 17 02:16:19 UTC 2013

Hi All,
  my apologies for the second JAWS question, but it relates to my work as a scientist.

  I am regularly using command  prompt for running programs relating to my work. the problem is that somehow I accidentally set JAWS so that it only speaks information when the following occurs:

a)  I up-arrow.

b)  I  Left or right arrow, and in these cases, it  repeatedly states the information under the cursor in a rapid fashion (e.g., if the character under the cursor when I arrow to the left is a, JAWS restates in a rapid fashion "a a a a ...").

c)  When I do a control+c.

  My  computer in my lab properly works with command prompt and reads each line as I arrow up or down and does not do the rapid repetition...

  Thus, I am wondering if anyone can help provide details about how to make my JAWS software at home perform as it should. I have no idea what I did to cause it to do this as it used to work just fine:).

  I am running JAWS 9.0 and Windows XP.

  Any help with this issue would be much appreciated as it makes work less efficient.
Many thanks,
Christine
Christine M. Szostak
Doctoral Candidate and Research Consultant
Language Perception Laboratory
Department of Psychology, Cognitive Area
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
szostak.1 at osu.edu
www.soundresearchconsulting.wordpress.com