[Sportsandrec] designing a gym

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 04:53:05 UTC 2008

Chris,
There are certainly barriers to being able to get a workout at a gym.  The
big one I see is the flat screens.  I had to memorize what button meant what
or if needed have assistance in setting the machine.  Another is
orientation; I do use a cane but a cane only covers so much path.  At my gym
there are people lying random places doing exercises such as abs or
stretching.  Then you have little equipment on the ground that members have
not put away such as dumb bels and medicine balls.
Then classes, well they are so visual!
I've not run into anyone or anything yet surprisingly.  I just take it slow
and use my vision to scan more.

My ideal gym would have many of the features you said.
I especially like the instructors showing people how to do things.  I'd add
more braille sinage such as braille on lockers so you know the number.  I
wish the machines could talk so you had access to the screen other than by
vision.  I have some vision and read the screen to see distance but its not
easy.

Ashley