[Sportsandrec] hiking

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 3 16:21:26 UTC 2009

Hi Lori,
You must be in shape.  How long are your hikes?  I'll start with short ones.
I do not own a GPS but do have a talking compass.  It might be useful.
How do you stay connected to a guide?  Do they walk beside you like in
regular sighted guide technique?  Since trails are narrow, I thought it may
be more helpful for the guide to walk ahead and tell me of obstacles or
changes in terrain.  I'm concerned that a cane will not be sturdy enough for
trails.  I wonder if a hiking stick could serve both as a tool to probe the
environment and something to keep balance. I'd use the stick instead of a
cane then.

Ashley