[Sportsandrec] Road racing

Lucia Alzaga lucialzag at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 18:50:10 UTC 2009

Hi
I hope I can my reasoning across... If you have seen other posts of mine I am trying to help more people to get into running so they can enjoy the benefits of fitness. I got together with a blind man who's a coordinator of DRES at my school and he said that it's wonderful that friends of my running club and I are willing to be guides here in this area. He told me that many people tend to be sendentary because they don't have anyone to run with or they think it is not for them. I don't want to force anyone to do what they don't want to do. But he and I agreed that maybe people could feel more encouraged to go out if they see other people like them running in taking part in races.
So my idea of creating a special category for this marathon, which promises to become really important, is to encourage to bring the best visually impaired runners so they can become an example for the people in area. If we have many people in a race that has been embraced by the entire community, then more people in the state of Illinois will participate. And hopefully one day, we won't need special categories or anything.
I can relate to what many people feel.  This is like affirmative action. Do we need it? Well, many people feel that they don't want special treatment because of their ethnic background. I am hesitant of affirmative action myself. I'm hispanic, born in another country. I'm sure you have noticed  my grammar mistakes. And I hate it when they treat me differently or they are amazed at simple things I do just because they are surprised I can do it. Or I would feel very bad if they told me I got something because I am hispanic, not for the real worth. But many people think that it is necessary now, but they hope that one day it is not necessary anymore. So that was my point... to make the race interesting for people from all over the country, to show them how beautiful and beneficial running is. And I hope that one day we don't need any special category.
Best,
Lucía