[Sportsandrec] Road racing

Lori M. Miller lori at asmodean.net
Sat Apr 18 21:32:56 UTC 2009

Keep on guiding and I hope you have enjoyable experiences. I was not a
runner until a friend of mine introduced me to Triathlon through a camp that
she organized for blind women and their guides. We discussed the challenges
of finding and recruiting guides, etc, and how this certainly can be a
stumbling block. In several sports I'm aware of situations where a blind
athlete has been fit and ready to go, but either a guide has not been found
or perhaps injury to the guide has kept the blind athlete from competing.
I've found NETWORKING to be a great solution.

I can go out and jog independently with my cane, but this is not my
preferred method for training for a race.  True some blind runners and
guides can just team up and go, but I've found that like with most sports
that require team effort best results are achieved by practicing together.
I'll compare it to working with readers. Just because someone can read does
not mean they are a good reader for a blind person, or even for one
particular blind person. Just because two people can run, does not mean they
are going to be a good team together necessarily. Style, personality,
habits, what have you, a guideruner and blindperson may not gel, but yet
that guide might be a good match for another blind runner. The more people
we have out and about, the better.

Thanks,
Lori