[Sportsandrec] Goalball and soreness

Joseph Hamilton jhamilton at societyfortheblind.org
Tue Apr 28 15:18:51 UTC 2009

Hey Joe,
I am going to way in here for you.
1 The team from Nashville back in the ninety's used to travel to
Kalamazoo MI.  However, there are teams in Atlanta, Louisville, and a
program was trying to get started in Charlotte.  Also some guys in
Columbus OH were playing around.  Plenty of opportunity to get your team
some exposure to competition before the next season.
2 number of players participating is always better to be big. 7-9 is
awesome.  For a travel team, I recommend 4 because we are all having to
pay to attend tournaments, and if you get to many people some can feel
left out.
3 regional tournaments are separate, however, some times if you are
trying to build some interest you can play a mixed tournament.
4, pads, When I started, I wore knee pads, hip pads, elbow pads, glove
with no fingers, a cup of course and a helmet.
I traded in the helmet and know I wear knee, elbow, hip and shin pads.
Plus ski goggles with black tape to add some protection for my face.
TAVIA used to be the organization that supported the goalball program.
David Hacker, Charles "Sam" Flippin and Chris Moore was the team.
Hope this helps.

Joe

Joseph Hamilton
Program Manager,