[Sportsandrec] New To List

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 22:36:10 UTC 2009

Tyson,
Given that team sports are visual, I'm sure its frustrating
losing vision.  Some sports have just blind players like goal ball and beep
ball.  But most are done with other sighted people.  There is such a thing
as blind bowling where bowlers bowl with guide rails but you can also bowl
with the help of your cane to find the line.
Those are the three sports for blind people I can think of.

Other sports you'd have to adapt to play such as using a beeping ball or
ball with bells.
You may want to check out www.usaba.org for sports ideas.  Sports blind
people do are often individual sports or those done with a guide.  They
include judo and other martial arts, running, tandem cycling, swimming and
skiing.  In fact there are some triathletes here.

You can also do other recreational things requiring no adaptation at least
none I'm aware of.  These include rock climbing, hiking, canoeing, and water
rafting.

You said
"but I have not been able to do as much with my vision going down and would
like to do more like I was before."

Well I assure you you can be active still; it just will require some
adaptations using your other senses and trusting people.  I say that because
you may need a guide for some activities and that requires trust. Although
you cannot play on a team you can do something in a small group.  So maybe
you can take whatever you liked as a sighted person and adapt it to play
now.
Kelly is great about adaptations; he has played many mainstream sports such
as baseball, basketball and soccer.  I'm sure he'll answer any questions you
have.
Go for it!

Ashley