[Sportsandrec] Spinning

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Mon Jan 12 21:56:44 UTC 2009

Hi Karen,

Congratulations on completing your first indoor cycling class! The bears are
cruising around my apartment chanting, "Yeah, Karen's bad, she's bad, you
know she's bad!" New Edition They are my cheerleaders as well when I ride my
indoor bike. Nico is a Persian and does not to use pom-poms. Because he is
so fluffy, he is his own pom-pom.:) I have been trying to ride it for an
hour each day that I do not get out on a tandem for a road ride. Today,
it'll be a recovery ride. Just nice and easy to flush out the junk from
yesterday's challenging efforts with hills and pulling the group into the
wind at the front of the pack.

Don't worry, spinning gets better for sure. A few ideas to think about for
your next class.

1. You do not have to ride too hard for your first few classes. Just do what
you can and have a good time. You want to focus on building up your base
cardio and muscular fitness before you start really pushing yourself. I like
to think of myself as a new engine. It has to be driven easy for the first
thousand miles to let everything properly seat itself.

2. Give your body some time to get used to the new pressure points. I wonder
if you had your bike set up properly? When your seat is too low, it rotates
your hips back and puts more pressure on your rear. I wrote a lengthy post
about this a few months ago. I can resend it to you if you contact me. Your
bottom may be sore at first because of the new activity, but also, you have
already begun to firm up things back there. So, you may feel it for both
external and internal reasons.

3. Cycling shorts and shoes are helpful, but not entirely necessary at this
point. Cycling shorts offer more comfort, because of the padded chamois.
However, I was a cyclist for years before I learned that the padding is only
secondary. The primary purpose of the chamois is to wick away moisture and
keep your skin dry. Regular shorts will work, but be mindful of seams that
may rub you the wrong way. Female cycling shorts have the seams on the sides
of that area, while men's shorts run them up the middle. This goes for
underwear as well, though you will not need them if you get riding shorts. .
Joe's shorts sound like they are soft, with the seams in safe places.

The Earth is shaking! the mountains shouting!
It's all for You.
The waves are crashing! the sun is raging!
it's all for You.
The universe! is spinning and singing!
It's all for You.
The children dancing, dancing, dancing!
It's all for You.

It's All for You - Chris Tomlin

I approve of this message and wore cycling shorts as I wrote it.

Regards,

Ron Burzese
Austin, TX
rock the bike at us family dot net