[Sportsandrec] My Cycling for Sight weekend!

Fred C regenerative at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 18:42:49 UTC 2010

Hi Sports&Rec friends,

It's not too early to be thinking about Cycling 4 Sight next Summer.
The web links are:
www.cyclingforsight.org
and
www.blindstokersclub.org

Get signed-up so you'll get all the info and swag.  One thing I know
that we'll try to do is move the C4S-ride weekend so it won't
conflict with the RAGBRAI.  I plan to do the big Iowa ride next
year.  A few BSC riders were on it this year, so they had to skip our
So. Cal. tour.

No matter where you are on the planet, sign-up with the Blind Stokers
Club.  If you aren't riding, but want to -- the BSC can match you
with a captain and a tandem.  Even if you already have a captain and
a bike.  Sign-up, and you can find spare captains and bikes.  I know
that I've needed one or the other a few times.  The BSC's network can
hook you up!  Grants for transportation are available.

I had a great Cycling 4 Sight double-century weekend!  My captain and
i are fast.  I'm a better rider after stoking for him.  He's a
licensed racer, and a patient and firm coach.

I only got 4-hours of sleep on Thursday night.  Ugh!  We rolled out
of Pfizer (a pharmaceutical company and major backer of Cycling for
Sight) next to UC San Diego on Friday morning, rode up the Pacific
Coast Highway, zipped through Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base, and
kept on along the coast to Laguna Beach.  Then we hung a right and
headed inland along a busy highway, eventually finding a bike path
that took us through some cool greenery and coastal sage scrub
habitat, leading us to UC Irvine.  It was about 80-miles, and my
captain and i still felt great.  when we arrived, our support people
had cheers and refreshments.  We relaxed on the grass, helping to
cheer each team coming in.  We got our rooms, hit the cafeteria to
enjoy college food, then went to a meeting.  At the meeting, a recap
of the ride, some goofy awards were given out, and we were told
almost nothing about the Saturday cyclo rally.  The cyclo rally was
to be fun, mysterious, and full of surprises.  We knew when and where
to leave from, that we would receive packets at check-in, and that we
had to be back by 2:30pm.   Afterwards, a bunch of us walked to the
local brew pub to continue hydrating.

I got about 5-hours of sleep, up at 6am, hit the cafeteria and got
ready.  Between 8 and 9 we were off on our cyclo rally.  We zigzagged
through local towns, awesome bike paths, and ended up along the
Newport Beach boardwalk.  We parked our bikes and had to find various
landmarks nearby, ride a ferris wheel,  answer questions about items
on a table, and then ride a ferry to an island.  Balboa Island was
where we hit the road again.  The way back was tight with traffic for
the first mile or so, then opened up to another gorgeous bike path
along the estuary.  Soon, we were finding other tandem teams, and the
whole pleoton was racing for UC Irivine to turn-in our cyclo rally
booty.  We did about 40-miles that day, and went to a stretching
class.  We learned several partner stretches that helped, and will
come in handy on my next date!  Then it was dinner and a meeting with
another review of the day's rally, awards, and an  overview of
Sunday's ride home.  A big group walked to the brew pub, but I was
fading, so chose to pack my bags, and hit the hay.

Sunday -- up early, we rolled out at 8am, following cool sunny smooth
roads back to San Diego.  Heading home, we cut off the worst part of
Laguna Beach.  Flying along, meeting up with other bike clubs like
Major Taylor and Meet-Up, we stopped within blocks of my apartment.
A lunch of sandwiches and stuff was waiting for us.  Normally, i
don't like to stop for a meal.  I get cold, and my blood is busy
trying to digest food, so seems to not flow oxygen to my legs.  The
people were great, and one of my other captains showed up!  I made a
few introductions, and tried to get moving.  We staggered back on the
road.  I was hurting, with legs of rubber.  I focussed on putting
power through my pedal strokes, and the miles clicked by.  We just
had about 25-miles to go.  close to the finish, we had a good climb.
It was very tough, but with my captain's guidance, we powered
ourselves up.  I could even feel my captain ease up on his pedals,
and let me power us up the "beyond category" climb.  It was great!  I
think i earned a few points with him.

So close to the finish, lots of people were taking photos, passing
out refreshments, etc.  We stopped for a few minutes at a Lions Club
booth, waiting for the other tandems to catch up.  Once most of us
were there, we rode another few miles or so.  Racing now!  I like to
tease  the other teams, saying "On Your Left!" as my captain and I
quickly and safwly slingshot by.  That gets almost any team with gas
speed up.  With a couple hundred feet to go before our turn to the
big photo shoot at the glider port, we hit a bump and lost a chain.
As our pursuing teams whizzed by, my captain and i had to coast in.
We stopped right at the photo spot.  That was pretty funny.

After the group photo, we did a careful easy ride with police escort
up and over the hill to Pfizer.  Families and friends were there,
with lots of hoopla.  Ice cream from ben & jerry's all you can eat,
silent auction, massages, a fun live band, the big ending ceremony,
etc.  It was good fun, but we all seemed to be freezing in the breezy
shade.

I can hardly wait to go riding again!  Cycling for Sight was a
blast.  I learned few more techniques from my captain, learned some
great bike paths for my friends and i to ride, and really had fun at
Newport Harbor.

I want all of you to sign up and do Cycling for Sight next summer!

Fred, in Carlsbad, CA. USA