[Sportsandrec] lowcost sporting equipment

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 26 04:39:56 UTC 2010

Hi Gary,

If you have lots of weight to loose, I'd recommend something light on your joints since something with impact will wear them out with all that weight on them.  Start by doing some low intensity activity such as walking or biking.  You can do it alone on a treadmill or stationary bike or with a partner outside.  If you have access to a tandem bike and someone to lead it, that would be fun.

Many people participate in goal ball.  Someone can say whether its in New Jersey.  I am in Va and we don't have an organized team here.

Kelly, the fitness expert who is getting certified, can give more advice.  But generally I know for weight loss you have to cut five hundred calories a day from your diet to loose a pound a week; since there's 3500 calories in a pound.  So walking or doing something moderate intensity for up to an hour most days of the week is a general recommendation.  When I wanted to lose some weight, my personal trainer recommended an hour of exercise a day plus a a few days of strength training with a nutritious diet.

Good luck.

Ashley