[Sportsandrec] Anyone totally blind and member of a gym?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 8 19:02:28 UTC 2010

Hi Tonia,

I have a little central vision but use a cane all the time.
I do belong to a gym but its not the most accessible place.
Even with some vision gyms are hard to get around for some of the reasons
you mentioned.
You have to find someone to assist
you in setting up cardio machines.  You may bump into people as they are on
the floor doing stretches or mat work.

What are your goals?  Will you use weight equipment, cardio, or free
weights?

I think you should visit the YMCA and see their attitude.  See if you feel
they will be receptive to helping you without being over helpful.
You can get a feel for the cardio machines too.  You may be lucky and their
cardio equipment may have tactile buttons.
In my experience the Precor ellipticals are tactile and blind friendly.
You'll be able to feel the buttons and set it up.  Many other machines have
flat pannels.

Sometimes I can see the machine to set it up and read the display.  They may
or may not let you place braille on the equipment.
I found free weights accessible too.  Once you know where the free weights
are such as dumb bells, body bars, and medicine balls you can take them and
perform those exercises in the gym.  Fortunately in a gym layout
things are consistent.  So once you know where the mats, stretching area,
cardio machines, etc are placed you can find them on your own.

Roger had a good suggestion of asking a gym staff member to  show you around
and you can learn the layout of the gym.
While doing your orientation, you'll get a feel for what equipment you can
figure out setting up independently and what you will need sighted
assistance with.

The challenges I find about gyms are:
1. Flat pannel cardio machines and sometimes small numbers so even with low
vision you can't access it.
2. the challenge of navigating in tight quarters between the
 equipment.
3. Bumping into people working out accidently
4. Fitness classes are inaccessible due to their reliance on visual
demonstrations and cues.

In order to navigate between equipment, I hold my cane verticle and walk
slower through the space.  I try and avoid this awkwardness though by
finding a machine to workout on at the end of the row.  However if you are
doing weight machines this is not possible.
I am always concerned I'll bump into people as well when going over to the
free weight and stretch area.  There are no auditory cues to indicate where
people have plopped down to workout/stretch.
This is where people do mat work on the ground, abdominals, stretching, etc.
Its an open carpet area with people and sometimes equipment are anywhere on
the floor literally.  I've seen dumbbells and stability balls on the floor.
I shorten my cane length here and use my vision.  Ocassionally my cane has
hit a piece of equipment which isn't bad or a person's foot or hand.  That
is why I am very careful as to how I use my cane so if I tap them with the
cane accidentally I won't hurt them.
No one has gotten mad so far.  I guess they understand.

As to how I dealt with fitness classes, I've been disappointed there.  You
need an instructor who verbalizes the routine well and willing to show you
moves.  Fitness classes seem to move too fast for much talking.

If you can afford private sessions a few times, pilates and yoga are
accessible.  I've observed these classes and they are slower paced classes
and instructors verbalize the names of moves.  They are more verbal here
because participants cannot always see the instructor while in a pose.

However I suggest getting 2 or 3 private sessions
prior to the group instruction so the instructor can show you how to breathe
correctly and move your body.
You will link the name of the exercise with the movement.  Then you know
what child's pose, downward dog, warrior pose, etc mean.

The class I found accessible as others have stated is spinning.  Its a
workout done to music and there is nothing much to see.  The instructors
verbalize directions well.  But even here the instructor will hopefully show
you before class the proper hand positions for the bike.

Good luck.
Ashley