[Sportsandrec] tandum bike?

Fred's ol' XP regenerative at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 17:52:44 UTC 2012

Hi again,
Did you sign-up for the Blind Stokers Club, yet?
www.blindstokersclub.org

Next, you might want to hook-up with a local tandem club.  I think
the Panthers are near you.  This is a  good way to be  able to ride
different tandems to get a feel for what you like.  Rental shops
usually have one or two junky tandems.  A tandem club won't charge
you money to check out their bikes.  The Panthers' web site link is
below, and they have a ride today, next Saturday, and most every
Saturday from what little investigation I did online.  Hopefully,
that means they are a well-organized and large club.  If you contact
them, and arrange to meet them at the end of a ride, I'd expect that
you'll meet a bunch of great people, with a dozen or so different
bikes.  You may even find a bike for sale through the club.

Florida PANTHERS  Tandem Club
www.floridatandemclub.org/panthers.htm

I wrote before that I use Craigslist for some of my tandem
shopping.  Below should be a link to your local craigslist
site.  Most of the bikes on there now are not my kind of bike.  For
me, a good bike would be a used Santana, Cannondale, or a similar
road bike with CrMo or Aluminum frame.  Your area is flat, so maybe
you won't want or need lots of gears.  You also get more rain, which
may mean fenders and different wheels and tires that I'd use along
PCH.  On CraigsList, the best items often disappear quickly.  At last
check, all you have to pick from are "vintage," "classic," and
"custom" tandems.  They all seem to be cruisers, and not worth looking at.

http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=tandem+&catAbb=bik&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

good luck!
Fred, in Carlsbad CA