[Sportsandrec] swimming and aerobics

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 00:30:57 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Well not being very coordinated, I never learned to swim well except for the forward stroke; actually I can sort of do the elementary backstroke and back stroke too.

So, someday I’ll get lessons privately. Did it take you long to learn? Did they need to break steps down, or just show you? I’ve heard butterfly is the hardest.

Also, does swimming burn many calories? I know its good for cardio health.
Also, I think it would be good for toning as well. How do you all manage to swim straight?

Does anyone do or participated in aerobic water fitness? I tried it once. Some moves I did not understand; I had an assistant with me showing me the moves, but still it goes a bit fast so some things I did not learn. I’d like to do 1:1 fitness training, but that would be pretty expensive. What strength exercises can be done in the water? I know of crunches, lunges, leaping, and squats and jumping. Not that I’ve done them, I just know they exist. What else? There are pool weights so I imagine that
many dumbbell exercises from land can be done in water. Just curious.

Ashley