[Sportsandrec] hi all

Audrey Farnum atfarnum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:05:28 UTC 2012

Hi Ashley.

Don't let anyone discourage you from trying classes. It might take a
little effort to find an instructor and class you are comfortable
with, but there's no reason why you can't be successful. Talk to the
instructor before class. Tell them what works for you. Many people
enjoy the challenge of modifying their teaching techniques for a blind
person. You just need to go in with a good attitude and I think most
people will be cool with it. I'm speaking from the experience of
dealing with rowing coaches and being the only blind rower on a
sighted team, but I think the same principles would apply to fitness
classes. I have a friend who is the only blind guy in a yoga class,
and his experiences have been similar. It might take a few classes to
learn an instructor's terminology, but once you learn the language and
associate the moves with the terms, you ccan fit in with a classs just
fine. And if the instructor has a hard time teaching you the moves
while leading the class, there's a high probability that another class
participant will be willing to help you with descriptions. I've had
some coaches that are better than others at being verbal, but with all
of them, once I figured out how they phrased things, I have been able
to row in the group without being a hinderance to the team and my
teammates have all been supportive and willing to help when necessary.
Just be patient, communicate your needs and believe in yourself. It's
your choice to try out fitness opportunities. Don't let anyone tell
you that you can't or shouldn't do it.

Take care.

Audrey