[Sportsandrec] clueless coaches

jody at thewhitehats.com jody at thewhitehats.com
Tue Jul 10 18:25:05 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

Ah but the student doesn't always know their limitations.  I had low vision
all of my life and I had no idea what normal vision was.  I would plow in to
every situation with a chip on my shoulder daring anyone to say I couldn't
do anything.  I had no idea of what my limitations were.

I hated being told I was different and I was in complete denial of what my
visual limitations were.  I would say I could see things when I couldn't
because I didn't want to be told I couldn't do it.  I remember before
starting horseback riding lessons the instructor asked me if I saw the boat
on the dock on the lake.  To this day I don't know if there was a boat, dock
or even a lake but I said YES for fear of not being allowed to ride.

A few years ago I went on a trail ride with my daughter.  I knew darn well
if they knew I was blind they would freak out.  Both me and my daughter wore
sunglasses, not unusual in  Florida.  I walked sighted guide and the guide
had no idea I couldn't see.  We had a blast cantering down the road and
walking the trails.  When we arrived back at the barn I untacked the horse
and said thank you and good bye.  Then I took out my cane and walked to the
car.  I could just imagine the jaws dropping to the ground.

So NO the student might be the last to know their limitations.

JODY