[Sportsandrec] Thank You Blind Stokers Club: Another Great Cycling for Sight

Fred's ol' XP regenerative at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 15:16:53 UTC 2012

Hey Blind Stokers, and all!
We couldn't ask for a better weekend weatherwise.  I'm not sure about
the exact numbers, but a couple-dozen tandem teams participated.  A
group of 5-stokers from Taiwan rode with us.  The Knights in the
Darkness is similar to the Blind Stokers Club, except they have
different artwork,  are based in Taiwan, and mostly speak
Mandarin.  We all love stoking tandems, reeling in the miles or
kilometers, and going new places!

The Knights invited all of the BSC to come to Taiwan in
November.  Their trip here, and the rides along the coast were
covered by Asian TV and print media.  Good publicity for both
groups.  (Although I haven't found any coverage via GoogleNews,
yet.  I'm sure it's gonna be up soon.)

This was my second Cycling for Sight weekend in 3-years.  I had to
take last Summer off, due to a broken wrist.  I have been riding
recumbent tandems, because that's what my captains feel most
comfortable on.  My main recumbent captain also broke his wrist
recently, so the BSC matched me with a new captain.  He is tall,
strong, and very experienced.  His bike is a beautiful, historic Jack
Taylor:  so has a big frame.  I barely fit on it, but once in the
saddle, it was almost comfortable enough for 230-miles.

My first time on any upright tandem for about 2-years off was the
Friday before this 3-day ride.  I was skeptical about my fitness, but
trained hard in the week before the big ride.  We did OK, passed many
slower teams, helped a couple by encouraging them to hang on our back
wheel, etc.  The goal is the ride, and it wasn't a race.  We were
there to have fun, and fun and comradore was what we had over the three days.

The event raised over $50k for the San Diego Blind Ctr, so that was good news

   I can hardly wait to get back out there for another Century!

Stoker-Fred
Carlsbad, CA
www.blindstokersclub.org
www.cyclingforsight.org
PS:  A little web-based info on the Knights follows:

The Knights in the Darkness

http://www.taiwanngo.tw/files/13-1000-17809.php?Lang=en

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/19272470/article-Blind-Stokers-Club-sets-sights-on-a-good-cause?instance=most_popular1