[Sportsandrec] kayaking

Fred's ol' XP regenerative at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 5 18:21:05 UTC 2012

Hi Julie J,

I kayak tandem or solo.  Kayaking is a great sport, or just a fun way
to experience the outdoors.  I own an inflatable tandem kayak, and we
cruise around the bays, lagoons, and lakes.
I've rented solid kayaks for paddling longer distances.  The
fiberglass of a solid kayak greatly increases the efficiency of each
stroke.  Different kayaks have a higher or lower wind profile, and
that is something to keep in-mind.
When I was an undergraduate, a PE class I took allowed me to kayak
around an Olympic swimming pool.  That really taught me a lot about
how subtle twists of my abdomen could swing the bow around.  The
instructors also required me to master the Eskimo roll, and the
emergency underwater exit.

If you've got time, you may want to see if a YMCA, community swim
complex, community college, or a kayak rental outfit has a class for
these fundamentals.

I doubt that you'll be sore.  Swimming is a great way to prepare for
a kayak class, or trip.  The muscle groups get used, and you'll
already be comfortable with the water.

Fred, near San Diego (although I've kayaked in fresh and saltwater,
in lagoons near the Oregon border, lagoons and bays near the Mexican
border, and lakes and streams in the Sierra Nevadas, Idahoe,
Minnesota, and the alligator swamps of Florida!)