[Sportsandrec] Ice Fishing

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Sat Nov 3 18:45:15 UTC 2012

Welcome to the list, Timothy.

As for ice-fishing, I've been out on the ice with others a few times, but
never cared to stay long enough to actually fish for myself. I suppose if
you have the patience just to sit on the dock, edge of a lake, beachfront
with a Surf rod, or even in a non-trolling boat, it'd be okay ice-fishing.
Me, I've never had the patience, even when I was a kid. I'd always be
walking up and down the river, casting out, reeling in, casting out again
constantly. Looking back it's been the same all my life. Fishing off the
Drawbridge @ Sand Key at the south end of Clearwater Beach even, I'd recast
and recast. The only time I've ever been able to sit still was when the boat
was trolling, which has been for the past 10 years or so when I've gone
fishing year after year with my buddy. So I doubt I could handle ice-fishing
for more than probably half an hour before getting antsy. But as for it,
I've talked with plenty of guys out on the ice. The fun part, to me, other
than hearing a huge crack break in the ice and rumble across the lake as it
splits even though there's usually no danger due to the ice being a couple
feet thick, the fun part (if there is one) seems to be using the auger to
drill the hole. Other than that I tend to believe guys do it to get away
from the house or some similar thing, y'know? You know how Surf rods are
thicker and shorter? Ice fishing rods are even moreso. A couple feet long,
and hold it over the hole and drop it in and that's about it. I might try it
for a night if I'm with a few friends and have something to entertain.
Music, or beer, or a book on tape, or better yet -- all of the above. ;-)

Anyway, welcome!

Everett