[Sportsandrec] camping

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Feb 5 23:55:56 UTC 2013

Heya!

It's me with another adventure vacation question.  Last year it was sea
kayaking, clam digging and fishing.  This year my teenage son and I are
going camping.  Actually we are going to survival school where we will
be learning how to build a fire without matches, tie knots, make rope
from native plants, which plants are edible, how to make tools from
natural materials at hand and all sorts of other stuff.  I'm
affectionately referring to this adventure as my opportunity to learn
independent living skills. *smile*

I looked at loads of opportunities we could utilize to do this and
settled on one of the less intense options.  We are going to be staying
in a cabin and doing day hikes to learn and practice the survival skills
we have been taught.  I'm not quite as adventurous as I once was.
Sleeping under a hedge and being reliant on figuring out which mushrooms
are edible won't be a part of this trip.

Still it will be a lot of new things for me and a lot of skills I
haven't used for around 15 years.  I don't anticipate having any
particular difficulties because of my blindness, but I'm trying to
figure out as much as I can ahead of time.

I would love to hear from people who have been camping both the normal
variety and the rougher sort of survival camping that is becoming
popular.  Also ideas on keeping oriented where there are no paths would
be helpful.    If anyone can think of specific non electronic blindness
equipment I should take along that would also be helpful.

I welcome all thoughts and ideas.  If you can think of something that
I'm overlooking in preparing for this trip please let me know.

Thanks in advance!  You guys always have awesome ideas and have been
really helpful.

Julie