[Sportsandrec] echo location was blind skateboarder

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:17:12 UTC 2013

I'm impressed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sportsandrec [mailto:sportsandrec-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
JUSTIN LOUCHART
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 10:32 AM
To: Sports and Recreation for the Blind Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Sportsandrec] echo location was blind skateboarder

Hello, Julie,

We go to our students. For instance I'll be in Colorado in two weeks,
then I'm in Indiana, then Wisconsin, then California, and then I think
I'm in Belgium, Italy, and possibly Australia. Daniel's currently in
Australia, but he's back and forth between something like 30 countries
a year. We have several instructors and several more interns, and our
geography is always changing.

The wind makes things more difficult, but not actually very difficult
at all on the grand scheme. Now, 40 miles an hour might be a little
more tough than a pleasant breeze, but you'd quickly learn to adapt
your clicking technique and your listening technique to manage. I
don't think I would go mountain biking with especially heavy wind, but
I would go hiking in forests or mountains without a problem. The extra
wind would just make it hard to hear enough to ride a bike at fast
speeds on that sort of terrain. Granted, there's always the
possibility that I'd find out that with more experience, maybe it's
easier than I anticipate.

I love the perceptual mobility approach. When recently I had a medical
problem and the doctors brought up enucleation, or surgical removal of
the eyes, I didn't hesitate. I had a little bit of vision left, but I
was certain that I have the skills to acclimate. I knew there would be
a learning curve going from sub-acuity contrast vision to absolutely
nothing, but I was up for the challenge. Honestly, I've enjoyed it.
And I'm not convinced I'd have that confidence if I hadn't first
learned flash sonar and the other parts of the approach.

Flash sonar isn't a miracle cure. The first step will always be your
attitudinal awareness of your life and your blindness. If you feel
restricted, then you're restricted. If you feel open, curious, and
adventurous, then you can learn to accomplish anything. It all comes
down to goals. If you want to learn to do the impossible, you can
learn it. If you feel like you're just fine the way you are, then
you're probably not interested in expanding from that point.

Speaking frankly, I think a lot of the skepticism regarding what we're
capable of as blind people comes from a poor opinion of blindness in
general. We've been trained to think that being blind is hard. You
know, I have to admit, I'm not convinced that blindness is hard. I
think that being blind and scared is hard, but I don't think that
being blind is hard.

Many countries function in the K through 12 system as a hands on,
sighted guide, wall-trailing approach. You use routes, you use arms,
and one day you get a dog to guide you around obstacles. That's the
model we all were told was the best model out there.

I issue that model a polite and friendly challenge. I believe not in
teaching my students what I think I know, but in teaching them to
teach themselves instead. I try and give my students the skills so
that they never have to use routes or guides, unless they really and
truly feel like it.

Most blind folks seem to use sighted guide because it's easier,
faster, and it's what they've been trained on. I tell my students,
"Autonomy above independence." My students can get through most places
basically as quickly as a sighted person, they're just going to need
to ask about visual signage. My students know how to handle their
anxiety about independently navigating airports and shopping malls. If
they want, they can jump on a bike and go with friends. But they also
know that it's completely fine, if you already have the skills, to go
ahead and take an arm. It's of utmost importance that you have the
skills to do anything you could ever want to do. It's somehow even
more important to be able to teach yourself to be comfortable in new
places and new situations. But it's less important to refuse sighted
assistance simply on the grounds of a non-sighted bias.

What I'm saying here is that perceptual mobility gave me options. Not
pretend options, like telling me what to do and when to do it because
it's been done that way for sixty years, but real, true options.
Options to take the ascription or not depending upon my mood that day.
Which is a wonderful and irrefutable freedom.

Forewarning, I'm going to digress a little here. Please bear with me.

I met a very competent blind person once who grew up sighted and went
blind as an adult. Mentally he was all there, and he was very attached
to his independence, but he said on more than one occasion that he
couldn't do things he dreamed of doing because he's blind. He said the
words, "I can't do that, I'm blind," even though I know full well that
he could've done those tasks and more if given the right sense of
freedom. But it just wasn't there. He just didn't have those
non-visual skills. I think about that a lot when interacting with my
students. What are they going through, and what have their
circumstances made them believe about themselves?

I think it's those myths we've grown to believe about ourselves which
are the most dangerous. I'm very careful to not call vision good and
blindness bad. I never say that a student has good enough vision to do
something, or their vision is too bad to do something else. I always
frame it from a place of true neutrality. Vision isn't good, and a
lack of vision isn't bad. And yet this language permeates blindness
culture. You see in everything from self-help books to instructional
documentation and conversation, over and over again, sighted and blind
people alike calling vision good and the lack of vision bad. They
don't even realize they're doing it. That represents a huge slam to
true autonomy in my mind. How can we as blind people expect ourselves
to ride skateboards or go mountain biking if we're so deeply embedded
with these negative frameworks?

I always smile a little bit when I see blind people openly
discouraging other blind people from clicking. They say it'll make us
look weird. That it'll make us socially unacceptable. Really? We
actually believe as a culture that you look weird doing what everyone
else does, and striving for the same goals as our peers? That doesn't
make much sense to me.

I believe in having options and in giving those options to my
students. Autonomy above independence. If you have the skills, the
choice is always yours. If you don't have the skills, you really don't
have a choice.

Justin

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/justin.willia

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40co

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/justin.williams2%4

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40comcast
.net

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/julielj%40neb.rr.c
om

>>> Sportsandrec:

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/jalouchart%40gmail
.com

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/jalouchart%40gmail
.com

--
Justin Louchart
JALOUCHART at GMAIL.COM

"I have preferences, but my happiness doesn't depend upon fulfilling them."