[SportsandRec] Camping Independently

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Wed Aug 11 03:30:56 UTC 2021

Are you going totally wilderness or more established campground?

Since I don’t drive my independent camping at the least includes a sighted driver who can point out landmarks and with whom I can discuss my this would be helpful preferences. Then it’s a matter of orientation and landmarks. Which way is your tent door facing in regards to the rising or setting sun? Which direction from your door are your major landmarks? What sound cues are constant near your tent/campsite? One of my favorite camping spots up in Montana puts me in a specific spot near a creek that has a unique sound with the water going over the rocks… Perfect audio reference to find my tent every time.

No your equipment top to bottom, front to back, inside out upside down and backwards… Know how to set up your equipment and adverse weather conditions like wind and rain. Have techniques that keep your equipment organized and from blowing away or getting lost… Really sucks when you lay your tent stakes down somewhere and forget where you put them. Really sucks when your rain fly or steak pouch clothes away. All this should be practiced and drilled before you go. If you truly want to be fully independent, practice and perfect the idea and techniques of only relying on yourself. Even if there are other people there, it’s a great time to practice doing it all on your own.

If you’re going to be out by yourself, brush up on your first aid skills and pack a decent first aid kit… That little survival kit you buy at Walmart is not a decent first aid kit… leave a plan with somebody in civilization… When you expect to go out, when you expect to be back, where you’re going to be, your estimated travel range, and if you have a phone with the capabilities, we’ve someone your find my phone credentials, and stick to the plan. Also leave a complete packing list; including what supplies you have, what clothing you have and what colors you’re wearing, how much food and water you have on hand, survival supplies like fire starting equipment and water purification… Things a search party can use if they should be called to look for you. Don’t expect to rely on your phone, technology will fail when you need it most, it’s in your tech’s terms of use agreement.

Could go on and on, but I’ll leave it at this: plan ahead, mastering your equipment, establish your environment, be organized, perfect your skills, and help and escape plan. Finally, be confident, but not to the point of arrogance… Confidence saves lives, arrogance invites trouble in the wilderness. .

Sent from my iPhone