[stylist] Blind and segregation

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Dec 31 21:55:00 UTC 2008

It seems to me that in this education debate, people get hung up on
the delivery vehicle.  That is, segregated special education, like a
school for the blind, or mainstreaming.  We need to remember that you
can have good or bad education in either setting.  The setting isn't
the issue, but the quality of the teaching.

And ... having said that, I think in most cases a little of both is
best.  Some segregated intensive teaching to get better skills of
blindness, and mainstreaming for social and other benefits.

Dave

At 02:05 PM 12/31/2008, you wrote:
>I think the only way forward in these matters is to go back to
>segregated education.  I think education has taken a nose dive since
>blind kids have been placed in mainstream schools.

David Andrews and white cane Harry.